Author Topic: Strange System slowdown after 4.8 update  (Read 26904 times)

Sl3dgehammer

Strange System slowdown after 4.8 update
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:30:32 AM »
Hello!

We are using multiple Avast 4.x licenses (15+) in our PCs and after the 4.8 update three of them shows very hard overall slowing.....

These are different DELL Optiplex machines (GX520,GX280..) with Win Xp SP2 and Zonalarm firewall.

when we are using MS Office applications together with CA-Clipper programs a simple task switch last 10-15 minutes, and sometimes an IE->Desktop switch last 5-8 minutes also...

I Set the:

self defense module= OFF
anti-rootkit=OFF

and nothing changes....

Any idea?

Thanks! 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:02:45 AM by Sl3dgehammer »

PiCo

Re: Strange System slowdown after 4.8 update
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »
What Software do the other PCs use? Same Win XP SP2 and ZoneAlarm?

bhuie

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:53:15 PM »
I'm having the same problem with my Dell Dimension E510 desktop running Windows XP.  I updated to 4.8 (green box) last night and then tried to restart my system this morning.  It has been locked on the "Windows is starting up..." screen for half an hour now.  The mouse is still working (I can move the cursor around), but nothing else is happening.  Any way to uninstall the avast update?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:06:55 PM »
Are you referring to slowdowns and freezes or really a crash (or blue screen of death)?
Are there any files called <avast>\data\log\unpXXXX (where XXXX is a random number)?
If so, send them to vlk (at) avast (dot) com
They may contain more information about the problem (maybe a link to this thread).

Is the problem related to this one?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34464.msg289174#msg289174
The best things in life are free.

bhuie

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »
Are you referring to slowdowns and freezes or really a crash (or blue screen of death)?
Are there any files called <avast>\data\log\unpXXXX (where XXXX is a random number)?
If so, send them to vlk (at) avast (dot) com
They may contain more information about the problem (maybe a link to this thread).

Is the problem related to this one?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34464.msg289174#msg289174

I can move my mouse, so the system hasn't crashed.  However, I'm still not able to get past the "Windows is starting up..." screen.  I even tried booting using "Last known good configuration" option in XP, but I'm still not able to get through the boot process.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »
Is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
Any other security programs that could interfere?

bhuie

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 02:18:27 PM »
Is there any useful information into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Events, specially 'Errors'?
Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
Any other security programs that could interfere?

I haven't been able to fully boot, so I haven't been able to access the Control Panel.  I just installed a new hard drive a month ago, and no other antivirus programs have ever been on it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 02:26:46 PM »
Maybe you can boot in Safe Mode and uninstall avast from there until we can further research what's going on...

sauronreaver

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 02:36:04 PM »
I would have been happy if the slowdown was my only problem. All my apps started existing unexpectedly with the "Send report" dialog.

At first I had no idea what caused it, so I did a clean XP SP2 Pro install, with all 90 odd updates. Installed all my stock apps as usual, until installing Avast 4.8.
Everything worked great on the clean install till I installed Avast 4.8. I removed it, and smooth sailing since.

By the way, I also had that failing in one or other module in my event viewer, the one ending with a 5.

I really hope this gets resolved soon before my 30day Kaspersky runs out. ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 02:40:29 PM »
By the way, I also had that failing in one or other module in my event viewer, the one ending with a 5.
Error 5 is access denied, not enough rights.

sauronreaver

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 02:43:42 PM »
Error 5 is access denied, not enough rights.

To be precises:
"Internal error has occurred in module aswar scan function failed!, function C0000005"

bhuie

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »
Maybe you can boot in Safe Mode and uninstall avast from there until we can further research what's going on...

I will give that a try...

ADDED:

I'm having the same problem with trying to boot in Safe Mode.  I'm frozen during the boot process (selected Safe Mode with Command Prompt option).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 02:59:34 PM by bhuie »

bhuie

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »
BTW, I'm using Microsoft XP Home edition SP2...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »
I'm having the same problem with trying to boot in Safe Mode.  I'm frozen during the boot process (selected Safe Mode with Command Prompt option).
avast is not loaded at Safe Mode.
Something else is messing your computer? Any new hardware device? Any 'old' one but that does not have the correct drivers installed (Control Panel > System > Hardware devices).

bhuie

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 03:07:54 PM »
avast is not loaded at Safe Mode.
Something else is messing your computer? Any new hardware device? Any 'old' one but that does not have the correct drivers installed (Control Panel > System > Hardware devices).

No, the only change is the avast 4.8 update.  Since that's the only thing that has changed (hardware or software) since the issue appeared, it seems like that has to be the problem.  It's too much of a coincidence that my slow boot process is very similar to others who are having 4.8 update issues...