Author Topic: Adware Win32/Generic.A being detected by WinDefender Resident Protection  (Read 9823 times)

gdiloren

I have PID 4076 now when I start ST and can't see it in service except for a PID 4052 SBSD Security Center Service. I choose to always allow it. This solves the problem. In effect, I choose in the past to install the Crawler Bar but later uninstalled it. My only error. Is this really a virus/Spyware? I don't think so! :-X

But is there a PID that matches the ones in the alerts ?

You didn't answer if you have the ST Toolbar or Crawler enabled in ST ?
No there isn't any. No, I have no Crawler Toolbar on, but I may have remnants as I already installed it in IE7.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I'm at a loss as to what it might be how it can report a PID that isn't in the task manager, unless because you are killing it, when you come to check the task manager it is no longer there. Try ignoring the alert once and then check if the PID number is in the Task Manager.

Or you could use a utility called Process Explorer (I haven't got a link yet), used to be sysinternals.com but it is now bought out by Microsoft, who continue its development.

Found the link, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx, look there for the utility.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

David I already have Process Explorer. I reproduced the problem and had PID 2144 linked to Spyware Terminator.exe (under the arborescence of sp_rsser.exe). Can't be anything else:false positive. Let's wait for Microsoft and its next update. Sorry for all that fuss!!! ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
No problem, your welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gdiloren

Just to let all know that Microsoft solved the problem with its 303 KB def. update of Windows Defender today. Still don't know how they could be so wrong!!! :-X