Author Topic: What do I do with all the "Warnings"?  (Read 12531 times)

wfsommer

What do I do with all the "Warnings"?
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »
New to avast.  Found the Mac version and was elated - not much available to check the Mac for malware.

Easy to understand to delete virus, but what is the purpose of giving me "Warnings"?

Please tell me what to do with them.

Thanks,

Bill Sommer

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What do I do with all the "Warnings"?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:15:52 AM »
Sorry I haven't used the Mac version, but the windows version gives a warning and there are options on what action you want to take, see image. In the windows version I would tend to use Move to the chest, as a first do no harm, rather than delete.

Hopefully one of the Mac users will pick up on this topic.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:21:58 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 02:57:01 AM »
What is the exact waning message? Example: Error 13
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 11:08:12 AM »
Hallo,
warning doesnt' mean infection. it only says that the scanning was for some reason unsuccesful - for example, insufficient rights to access the file.

In next version, these warning will be supressed, because many users think that it's a sign of infection - it isn't.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

pupusse

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »
WARNING may also refer to files voluntary excluded from scan by user  ;)

Warning may also refer to damaged archives  :D

But ,let me tell you to be confident, if you were infected , avast would give you a clear and explicit message  ;)

kat04

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 06:13:48 AM »
So . . . are we supposed to ignore error 13 warnings?  And about other warnings?  For me the unresolved question is what action to take . . . ignore, move to chest, delete?  I think the unspoken answer is to ignore, but I prefer explicit direction given that I am not very techno savvy.

Thanks in advance,
Kat

odavvz

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »
Sorry I haven't used the Mac version, but the windows version gives a warning and there are options on what action you want to take, see image. In the windows version I would tend to use Move to the chest, as a first do no harm, rather than delete.

Me too used the windows version on my Mac book. Ik deleted this version. but I still get a warning on the screen that pops up all the time. How can I get rid of it? I do have a print of the warning/mention, but I don't know how to insert it.??? The warning says: "Avast antivirus found the following problems in e-mails. 1 mention." Every 2 minutes it pops up.
Please can someone help me?
Thanks Oda.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 10:22:03 AM »

Me too used the windows version on my Mac book. Ik deleted this version. but I still get a warning on the screen that pops up all the time. How can I get rid of it? I do have a print of the warning/mention, but I don't know how to insert it.??? The warning says: "Avast antivirus found the following problems in e-mails. 1 mention." Every 2 minutes it pops up.
Please can someone help me?
Thanks Oda.

Hallo,
this is just the same as the post below - check the contents of Rules in Mail's Preferences. When there's no Avast's rule, of course, no pop-up will occur.

Regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

zespolna

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:08:02 PM »
I guess the principles of running the avast and fighting viruses are pretty the same regardless of your OS and platform? So there is no need to getting answer from MAC user for another MAC user - the answer could be given by a Windows user... (?)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:34:51 PM by zespolna »

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 03:07:34 PM »
I guess the principles of running the avast and fighting viruses are pretty the same regardless of your OS and platform? So there is no need to getting answer from MAC user for another MAC user - the answer could be given by a Windows user... (?)

Above all, the most useful thing is to install the latest release candidate - here the warnings aren't numeric, but have also textual description. So it solves your problem directly.

regards,
pc