Author Topic: ashServ.exe and system seems slower...  (Read 4432 times)

wursti

ashServ.exe and system seems slower...
« on: April 07, 2008, 11:07:44 PM »
Hi again!

Today I updated the new VPS and got rid of the aswar error and that's ok now so big thank you.

However, I'm just wondering that is it normal for ashServ.exe to have constant 20-22000kt memory usage. ???
That just seems a little bit big when compering it to others... My biggest memory users are Acer.Empowering.framework.launcher.exe (30000kt), explorer.exe (around 18000kt) and epower_dmc.exe (13000kt).
And these are all programs of which I can free usage from but not from ashServ or other ash-programs like WebSv.exe

I know that those aren't huge figures but...

And other weird thing is that my computer seems to be a little slower overall. Before 4.8 program update, when I was scrolling web pages (I use Firefox), I hardly ever got over 60% CPU usage but now it happens quite often...
------------------------
XP MCE
1024mb
2Gh AMD
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:17:53 PM by wursti »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ashServ.exe and system seems slower...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 11:59:47 PM »
I assume you mean KB not kt, but it depends on if it has been active scanning and also what value you you are reading and what tool, e.g. Task Manager, Mem Usage or VM Size it has been said the the VM size is a better guide.

However, memory is there to be uses and you are going to get peaks and troughs. Currently mine is VM Size, 16,676KB and Mem Usage of 8,996KB, neither of which concerns me. Heck firefox is using 95,280 and 80,196KB, Just look at Explorer, so in the larger scheme of things avast is a mere pimple, when you consider this is a security process.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wursti

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 11:38:38 PM »
Yep, I ment kb... ;D (it's kt in finnish, sorry)

Ok, so I guess the memory usage is normal.

As far as the system being slower...:
After 4.8 update I have noticed that it now takes much more time for Windows to boot up. I mean that it goes fine till the logon screen but after I have logged in, something odd happens. System opens (desktop comes and everything seems fine) but after few seconds it freezes for minute or two... Hard drive light flashes like hell and while my mouse cursor moves, nothing else happens for minute or two...
Then after a while, rest of the applications loads up.
Before they opened up almost instantly one after another...
Could this have something to do with some new features of avast like that rootscan...?
If so, can I somehow delay it or them so that the loadingtime wouldn't take so long?

Offtopic:
BTW, is it normal that "dfrgfat.exe" starts up using almost all CPU if I don't use the laptop for few minutes and goes away instantly after I touch the pad?
I know that it's a windows defrag program but I don't recall seeing it earlier...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 11:52:53 PM »
Some say it takes a little longer, some more so, but I haven't noticed much of a difference on my system (see signature below).

A lot will depend on what you have loading on boot, the more running applications you have the more files will be scanned as I believe avast starts a little sooner to provide greater protection.

The new rootkit scan happens about two minutes after your desktop is up as it needs to compare what windows API shows against what is hidden, so it shouldn't get in the way too much.

I would check those programs that start on boot and only have essential applications run. There are many programs that when installed set themselves to start on boot, like media players, etc. and they only need to start when you click a media file and that happens automatically.

Have you got some auto defrag program running ?
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/dfrgfat/
dfrgfat.exe is a process which belongs to the Diskeeper hard disk defragmentation tool. This program is a non-essential process
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 12:09:27 AM »
I'm fairly sure that the Diskeeper activity is a setting in Diskeeper that tells it to perform defragmentation when the system is idle.  The conditions described seem consistent with that. 

Rather than that I have Diskeeper scheduled to run while I am away eating dinner. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 01:00:35 AM »
Thanks Alan.

wursti

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:57:28 AM »

Have you got some auto defrag program running ?
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/dfrgfat/
dfrgfat.exe is a process which belongs to the Diskeeper hard disk defragmentation tool. This program is a non-essential process

Ok, so that might be it.

But the main issue with my computer is the lagging at startup. Windows open up nice but then it freezes for a minute or two. I haven't done any application installation recently beside Avast 4.8 and the problem came after that.
And I also checked my boot running applications and there is nothing odd either... Just the same applications that were there before when I had zero problems.

Today it almost seemed like the system halted alltogether but after few minutes rest of the applications started normally.
All in all, this is pretty annoying thing. And what I have read from other topics, I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Also yesterday, I was reading this forum, when connection suddenly terminated (wouldn't load up any page). It lasted 5-10 minutes but connection came back after that. I checked Comodo log and there were these new 4 odd .exe in my local settings's temp folder. Comodo told that they weren't on my computer anymore. I tried to find them through search but it couldn't anymore. After that I ran full scan (high setting) and 2 quick scans + I also scanned with Spybot - S&D and today, just in case, ran a ESET NOD32 online scan... None of them found nothing.

So system is clean but there is still the big issue with startup lag.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »
I don't know what to suggest about any start-up lag other than to monitor the other posts you say you have seen as I haven't seen any such lag and my system is no speed freak.

How do you connect to the internet, broadband, dial-up, how ?
If broadband, it could be that your connection is established early and avast detects that and checks for an update, if that is the case then it may be an idea to delay that check for a few minutes. It is possible that how to do that is outlined in the other topics, but I will repaet it here.

You need to edit the [InetWD] section of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini file and add the following line (depending on your connection type enter one or other of the Bold lines below):

Dial-up connections, add this line: RASWaitSeconds=120
Broadband connections, add this line: AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120

[InetWD]
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
Or
RASWaitSeconds=120

The figure is seconds and the above equates to two minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 180, 240, etc.  It may be worth your while extending that delay to 240 or 300 seconds, so you can be sure there would be no possible interaction with the update check and completion of boot.

wursti

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 02:05:31 PM »
Ok, I'll try that next.
just to clarify...:
Does it matter where I copy that line in avast4.ini or should I just put it at the bottom last...?

And again, thanks for the help guys.
I'm not trying to be trouble or anything, it's just odd that last week and earlier, startup took overall only minute or two but now it takes 5 or more to get everything running (including the halt/lag after login)... And it has done so ever since 4.8 update...weird.
I just thought that there might be some new feature that would explain this behavior but if not...hmmm...i dunno.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 02:21:10 PM »
It matters that it is within the [InetWD] section, before the next section marker [Name], when you edit the ini file and try to save it the avast self-defence module will have a are you sure moment, answer Yes.

wursti

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 02:27:24 PM »
Ok, so I got [InetWD] and next one is [Quick]. So I just plant it in InetWD before Quick...?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 04:36:28 PM »
Yes any were in there would be fine.