Author Topic: error messages  (Read 3571 times)

fractallinda

error messages
« on: April 07, 2008, 11:21:46 PM »
I am getting the following errors on a regular basis, different files though. I haven't checked on the other 20 computers yet to see if they are getting them also.

Can someone tell me please what the errors are and the severity level?  I have version 4.8.1169 and update automatically.

Thank you in advance!

AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of aav.xls failed, 00000043. 

AAVM - scanning warning: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx [UNI]: \\cltlist.ldb TEMPLATE\cltlist.ldb) returning error, 00000005. 

sirretief

Re: error messages
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 01:05:40 AM »
my system is going so slow now....i have a 40% load..doing basically nothing...pentium laptop 756mg mem ati built in.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:50:27 AM »
my system is going so slow now....i have a 40% load..doing basically nothing...pentium laptop 756mg mem ati built in.

Please don't jump into a topic unrelated to your problem,  please start a new topic, or find a related topic and add your post with as much detail.

Include in that topic:
What is the basically nothing that you are doing
What process is using the 40% CPU
Enable the 'Show detailed info on performed actions,' Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced. This will give an indication of actually what is being scanned and that may give us an idea why.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 02:02:28 AM »
I am getting the following errors on a regular basis, different files though. I haven't checked on the other 20 computers yet to see if they are getting them also.

Can someone tell me please what the errors are and the severity level?  I have version 4.8.1169 and update automatically.

AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of aav.xls failed, 00000043. 
AAVM - scanning warning: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx [UNI]: \\cltlist.ldb TEMPLATE\cltlist.ldb) returning error, 00000005. 

Lets deal with the severity level, ignore, they are verbose log entries that help the developers  if there is a problem. Provided you aren't actually getting an error displayed on the screen I wouldn't be alarmed.

The windows error 00000005 (5) = Access is Denied - I don't know what the cltlist.ldb file is or why access might be denied.
As for error 00000043 (43) I can't find a windows error code matching that.

What does worry me though is there is no hits on a google search for cltlist.ldb and this is often related to randomly named malware.
Or it could simply be a user named file, so what do you know about this file ?

There are two hits for aav.xls, but if this is a user created xls file no problem.

In either case it would be worth doing some additional checks.

Check the offending/suspect files at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here. I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently over 30 different scanners.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fractallinda

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:57:01 PM »
Bless you for the succinct and helpful reply.

Both of those files are legitimately user created.  I know that I was accessing a Word document that had a link to the aav.xls spreadsheet, then later (after closing the word document) when I tried to open just the spreadsheet it said it was still open.  Probably all a MS hangup.

I checked a couple other machines and other than some errors already addressed in earlier posts yesterday, they were error free.

Thank you again.  I have a question but I will start a new post for it!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

OK the virus total would confirm the detection was a false positive, or not, so I would advise uploading.

If only avast detects anything:
It is indeed a false positive, add it to the exclusions lists:
Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and
Program Settings, Exclusions

Restore it to its original location, periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the Standard Shield and Program Settings, exclusions.

Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and undetected malware in the subject. I appreciate that you might be concerned about sending anything commercial/confidential, if you can replicate the error in another xls file without the data that would be probably be better for you. 

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest where it can do no harm and send it from there (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). No need to zip and PW protect when the sample is sent from chest. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so any further action you take can remove that.

Welcome to the forums.