Author Topic: Avast 4 Disabled Power Management  (Read 7284 times)

Golfnut3

Avast 4 Disabled Power Management
« on: March 22, 2004, 03:48:14 AM »
Computer will not go into stand by, automatically since install.  If I force Stand By using sleep button it may work or may not.  Computer is Dell XPS1000r running MS Windows ME.  Stand by and Hibernate  power management functions worked fine prior to Avast 4 install.  Any help would be appreciated.   ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast 4 Disabled Power Management
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 03:55:36 AM »
Can you try one by one...

1. Finish the VRDB generation. Click in the 'i' icon on the system tray and force the generation of the VRDB now.
2. Disable VRDB
3. Disable each provider

Can you posts the results?  ;)
Wellcome to forums.
The best things in life are free.

Golfnut3

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 11:05:09 PM »
Thanks for quick reply.  Preformed all three actions you suggested.  I can now Hibernate by manually (start,shut down, hibernate,OK).  The timed Stand By selections in power management still will not function.  The only way is to manually push the sleep button to put the computer in stand by.  Help

Golfnut3

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 01:52:25 PM »
I guess this problem cannot be fixed.  Tech support is mute.  They did not respond to my request for help.  Today I am uninstalling Avast and hope no permanent damage was done to my computer.

drahnier

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 02:42:40 PM »
I guess this problem cannot be fixed.  Tech support is mute.  They did not respond to my request for help.  Today I am uninstalling Avast and hope no permanent damage was done to my computer.

I can understand your frustration because I have this very same issue on my two notebook computers. And breaking power management on a notebook is - imho- a serious issue. And I have other issues with avast, too.

But anyhow, despite of these issues, avast is a vey good program and I will not give up on it. Not yet. I am pretty sure, avast staff is listening.

Golfnut3

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 06:13:19 PM »
Thanks for your comments.  It has been uninstalled and all power management functions are back to normal again.  Too bad no one in PC World or  Alwil bothered to mention this defect or shortcoming.  

dadkins_1

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 02:11:17 AM »
My Sony Vaio doesn't have a problem with Standby or Hibernate while all providers are running, never has.

drahnier

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 06:01:52 AM »
My Sony Vaio doesn't have a problem with Standby or Hibernate while all providers are running, never has.

Good for you.

I have three Sony Vaio notebooks and one IBM Thinkpad here at home. Two of the Vaios don't go into standby mode when avast is installed, the third one dos, and the IBM does, too.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 10:17:09 AM »
Could it be some kind of disk activity that's preventing the machine from entering the standby mode?
If yes, you may try to open the <avast>\data\avast4.ini file and in the [Common] section, change the item Database=ODBC to Database=XML. This could prevent the Microsoft Jet drivers from accessing the database... does it have any (positive) effect?
There can be other avast! components accessing the ini file... normally, this should be handled by Windows cache (the drive shouldn't be physically accessed), but I'm not sure how the hibernation is triggered...

sashko

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 12:07:04 AM »
Could it be some kind of disk activity that's preventing the machine from entering the standby mode?
If yes, you may try to open the <avast>\data\avast4.ini file and in the [Common] section, change the item Database=ODBC to Database=XML. This could prevent the Microsoft Jet drivers from accessing the database... does it have any (positive) effect?
There can be other avast! components accessing the ini file... normally, this should be handled by Windows cache (the drive shouldn't be physically accessed), but I'm not sure how the hibernation is triggered...

Igor,
 Thank you. This fixed my power management issue and also reduced my boot time after logging into my Win XP account. Now to figure out why my piece of garbage Toshiba laptop won't restore from hibernation :-)

Alex