Author Topic: 4.8 Virus scan/ cpu shutdown  (Read 8817 times)

psw

Re: 4.8 Virus scan/ cpu shutdown
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 01:13:34 PM »
In a multi-processor system I recall the team saying that the rule would be that they would use n-1 processors for scanning (where n is the number of processors).  I am not sure if there is intended to be any self limitation on avast in scans on a uni-processor system.  Hopefully a team member will chime in.

I checked CPU load during scan on multicore Q6600 (4 cores Intel). Only 1 CPU core is used during scan. 3 other cores are idle.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 01:50:58 PM »
I believe Vlk said that this is a plan for future versions - when the number of cores on an average computer will be > 2.
Right now, a single scan is limited to a single core (but you can run as many parallel scans as you want, of course).

Regarding the original problem - yes, if the computer really powers down, it's most likely a hardware problem (CPU, power source, ...)

celticfrost

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 03:21:26 PM »
Well I cleaned out fan,boards,etc. Ran another full scan and same thing happened. 95-100% cpu and shutdown after 10 or so minutes. Should I try the beta version or go back to 4.7? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 03:28:48 PM »
Should I try the beta version or go back to 4.7?
I suggest you try if the latest beta version solves this:
Download the updater (http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe) and run it or go here for more information.
The best things in life are free.

celticfrost

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »
OK, just tried the beta version and it does the same thing. Im pulling my hair out now. Anymore ideas would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Should I try the beta version or go back to 4.7?
I suggest you try if the latest beta version solves this:
Download the updater (http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe) and run it or go here for more information.