Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (now 4.8.1192)  (Read 190185 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Rootkit scan still eats 100% cpu for 15 minutes, but now it can be turned off, so I'm happy :)
Hmmm... seems strange... what other security programs are you running?
I can't even notice that rootkit scanning is being performed at boot time...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 11:43:03 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
besides that I perform the CHKDSK 3 times a week
Really? Why do you want (or need) to do so? Seems a lot...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Ever since i started using NTFS i performed like only 3 CHKDSK checks because i suspected something went wrong with disk (nothing was wrong though). FAT32 is another story...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

davorl

Hmmm... seems strange... what other security programs are you running?
No other security software except Kerio Personal Firewall 2.15 (which really a "plain" firewall - no ad blocking, no spyware detection, etc). I even tried to turn it off.
I uploaded an userdump, so I expect avast team will eventually fix the problem.
If there is another way I can contribute, just let me know.

If you want more details about the issue, here is the original thread:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34308.0

MiguelAngelXP

Hi
After installing this new beta there is no more spinning ball (blue icon). A deinstall and new install does not help. I'm asking me if my PC is protected?
Regards
housi

Hi housi:

The spinning ball is the icon for VRDB "Virus Recovery Database" as it states in the help section and to solve your problem I copy the help excerpt :

SETTINGS

The settings of VRDB can be changed by clicking on the icon in the system tray "a" icon with the right mouse button. There are three options:

Generate VRDB when computer is idle. avast! will create its database only when the computer is idle, i.e. when it is not being used.
Generate VRDB only when screen-saver is running. avast! will create its database during the time screen-saver is running. It may be any screen-saver, not only the one included in avast!
Disable VRDB generation. avast! will neither create, nor update the database. If you select this option, it will not be possible to repair virus infected files in the future!

I hope you can solve the issue
Kindly regards
MiguelAngelXP

MiguelAngelXP

besides that I perform the CHKDSK 3 times a week
Really? Why do you want (or need) to do so? Seems a lot...

Hi Tech:

Yes, you're right is a lot but my iisues with v 1169 was triggered when I perform the CHKDSK and in this week I was testing v 1169 and v 1178, but for now, I'm quite satisfied, I perform my weekly antivirus scan without problems  ;D

Thanks for your concern
Kindly Regards
MiguelAngelXP

housi

Hi MiguelAngelXP
Thanks for answering.
The spinning ball is the icon for VRDB "Virus Recovery Database" as it states in the help section and to solve your problem I copy the help excerpt :
I know that, I would say the avast-icon (blue icon with a), will say I had no avast-icon nor a VRDB-icon.
I think my Outpost Firewall was the reason why. I did deinstall avast and I did deinstall Outpost. After I did reinstall avast and then reinstall Outpost. Now all seems to be ok.
Regards
Housi

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Your adding to the avast help file information something that isn't there.

Quote from: Extract of avast! help file
SETTINGS

The settings of VRDB can be changed by clicking on the icon in the system tray with the right mouse button. There are three options:

Note: there is no mention of which icon, on installation the VRDB icon ' i ' is separated from the main avast ' a ' icon (which has nothing to do with the VRDB), when the ' a ' icon is rotating it is scanning files.

You right click on the ' i ' icon to access the VRDB settings and the ' i ' icon rotates when then the VRDB is being generated. It is possible to merge both together, in which case right click the avast ' a ' icon, select VRDB and you can then access the settings. Once again when the VRDB is generating the icons split so the ' i ' rotates, once the VRDB generation is complete the icons merge again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
since version 4.8 (both final and this beta) i noticed in Pro version sometimes IE7 crash with error related to ahaScr.dll 4, 8, 1169, 0

most intersting on this one it's completely random rare (only what i can say it happens with multi-tabs in use)
also it happens even Avast! is disabled (services are off, none of them or gui component in memory tho i assume the low level driver is still active)

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Application Error
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   1000
Description:
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16512, faulting module ahascr.dll, version 4.8.1169.0, fault address 0x000060de.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 69 65 78   ure  iex
0018: 70 6c 6f 72 65 2e 65 78   plore.ex
0020: 65 20 37 2e 30 2e 36 30   e 7.0.60
0028: 30 30 2e 31 36 35 31 32   00.16512
0030: 20 69 6e 20 61 68 61 73    in ahas
0038: 63 72 2e 64 6c 6c 20 34   cr.dll 4
0040: 2e 38 2e 31 31 36 39 2e   .8.1169.
0048: 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66   0 at off
0050: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 30   set 0000
0058: 36 30 64 65 0d 0a         60de.. 
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

MiguelAngelXP

Your adding to the avast help file information something that isn't there.

Quote from: Extract of avast! help file
SETTINGS

The settings of VRDB can be changed by clicking on the icon in the system tray with the right mouse button. There are three options:

Note: there is no mention of which icon, on installation the VRDB icon ' i ' is separated from the main avast ' a ' icon (which has nothing to do with the VRDB), when the ' a ' icon is rotating it is scanning files.

You right click on the ' i ' icon to access the VRDB settings and the ' i ' icon rotates when then the VRDB is being generated. It is possible to merge both together, in which case right click the avast ' a ' icon, select VRDB and you can then access the settings. Once again when the VRDB is generating the icons split so the ' i ' rotates, once the VRDB generation is complete the icons merge again.

Hmmm its weird because I copied from the help file I will copy all the help related to VRDB

VRDB

VRDB stands for "Virus Recovery Database"; it was known as "Integrity Database" in previous avast! versions. The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair many infected files (return them exactly to their original state). VRDB is announced by an icon with the letter "i" in the system tray (next to the clock). If the icon is animated, the database is being created right now.

VRDB PRINCIPLE

avast! creates an integrity database, i.e. it stores information about the actual state of the files, doing it three versions back for each file. The database creation/maintenance is performed either when the computer is idle, or when the screen-saver is running (any screen-saver, not only the avast! one). This database, once it is created, is updated each three weeks (this value may be changed by editing avast4.ini).
If a file is infected by a virus, it may be possible to repair it using the information stored in VRDB, i.e. turn it to its original state. If there are multiple versions of the file in the database, you can choose which version you want to restore.

SETTINGS

Generate VRDB when computer is idle. avast! will create its database only when the computer is idle, i.e. when it is not being used.
Generate VRDB only when screen-saver is running. avast! will create its database during the time screen-saver is running. It may be any screen-saver, not only the one included in avast!
Disable VRDB generation. avast! will neither create, nor update the database. If you select this option, it will not be possible to repair virus infected files in the future!

Regards
MiguelAngelXP

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I quoted the relevant part of the help file.

The key point is it doesn't state which icon, just the icon in the system tray, it was your interpretation that this was the ' a ' icon which it isn't by default the avast icons are separated and it is the ' i ' icon that is for the VRDB.

So no mention of which icon, also if you right click the main avast icon there are no three choices for the VRDB, even if you had merged the icons it would only show VRDB, you would then need to expand that before the three selections were visible.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Bohemia Interactive
ok i'm observing new weird things happening with new beta while avast protection is active even when avast services are not active

randomly some applications refuse to start completely (they in memory but inert)
and if that happen you can't start this application that session until restart
except starting all avast services then terminating that 'freezed' application and starting it again

not experienced such problems prior 4.8
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
ok i'm observing new weird things happening with new beta while avast protection is active even when avast services are not active
As you know, avast providers aren't only the services running. There are low level drivers loaded. If you disable the service, the providers go to "waiting for a subsystem to start" state. The better will be setting the providers to 'pause' or 'terminate' state without messing with the services, imho.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 03:13:23 PM by Tech »

Offline RZPogi

Good thing the cpu overreving when virus scanning is fixed. Virus Scanning with 4.8.1169 often has 100% cpu, with 4.8.1178 has >40% cpu.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Bohemia Interactive
Sorry, this was reported before. avast providers aren't only the services running. There are low level drivers loaded. If you disable the service, the providers go to "waiting for a subsystem to start" state. The better will be setting the providers to 'pause' or 'terminate' state without messing with the services, imho.

tech i know (and You should know i know) it that there are still one or two low level drivers of Avast! and that's exactly the reason why i put that description what IT is ...

and the problem is not with Avast! stuff being inert and hang, which was different type of bug (similar with effect on the process) which btw. i reported in 4.8 beta already
but that one was related to Avast! in memory components and THIS one is related to ANY program (so they different) ...

so please next time before You start with "sorry, this was reported before" ... read twice, think twice ... because such comment is absolute useless on this forum