Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (now 4.8.1192)  (Read 190589 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
so please next time before You start with "sorry, this was reported before" ... read twice, think twice ... because such comment is absolute useless on this forum
I'll edit my post... maybe I was not happy choosing the words...
The best things in life are free.

DeathKittyKT

It wont install for me it keeps saying Cannot write file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\setup\servers.def  THEN A error has occured during the update to beta version

can someone help please ?

DeathKittyKT

NVM! im so stupid after ticking self-def off i didnt click ok XD DUH anyway hope this works ty!! been putting up with mouse/keyboard lag for a week =[ even formatted comp and everything >_<

P.S sorry for double post

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
It wont install for me it keeps saying Cannot write file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\setup\servers.def  THEN A error has occured during the update to beta version
can someone help please ?

Which firewall do you use? Can you manually update your previous avast (official release) installation?

NVM! im so stupid after ticking self-def off i didnt click ok XD DUH anyway hope this works ty!! been putting up with mouse/keyboard lag for a week =[ even formatted comp and everything >_<
I'm not following you... can you rephrase?

Sesame

I'm not following you... can you rephrase?
She uses many text "emoticons" instead of forum-based ones, which makes her sentences hard to read.  BTW, In chat abbreviations, NVM means "never mind" while ty is "thank you".  Below is the "decrypted" one.
Never mind!  I'm so stupid.  After ticking off the self-defense module, I didn't click OK.  :P  Duh.  Anyway, hope this works.  Thank you!!  I've been putting up with mouse/keyboard lag for a week :( and even formatted my computer and everything. :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Thanks Rumpelstiltskin for the translation ;)

DeathKittyKT

it worked =D *very happy*

Shard413

Thank you so much for getting these issues resolved!

kirby34

Thanks for the beta.   It seems to have taken care of the keyboard lag issue I was having with Red Orchestra.

cromdubh

Dear Vlk,
I have had a troublesome time since this upgrade was floated.
The beta version wouldn't write to wherever it should.
I did a clean install after using the cleanup program, managed to finally find my licence no in the chaos!
The one thing that has remained a bother is the little red disk in the blue disk syndrome.
Starting it on the management Console doesn't cure it for the next start-up.
The program does appear to open normally if I only log-off or restart.
I have run repair on add/remove programs.
I have done all sorts of permutaions with and without safe-mode . I don't have an Internet connection in that mode.
As it only started with this upgrade, I tend to think the answer may be with that, but the forums don't appear to show that its bothering a lot of people.
I may be the only person on your forum with an old 233 Dell (Win 95) upgraded in steps to w2000 and 128 MB of RAM.
I run Zone Alarm for firewall and SpyBot for spyware etc. The SpyBot appears to run only on command and is not "resident" .
 My Dell 325SX (Win 3.1) sits nearby to amuse the grandchildren!
Any suggestions would be welcome. Could the official release be a more finished article than the "pre-Release" in this respect?
Slán tamall,
Tom Johnson

Hi *,

here I'm again. A service update for avast Home/Pro is coming soon (my guess is in about 1-2 weeks) and as usual, it's my pleasure to announce the availability of a pre-release version of this update.

How to install it:

In case you already have avast 4.7/4.8 installed on your system:
1. NEW! go to avast settings, and on the Troubleshooting page, disable the avast self-defense module (this is NECESSARY for the update to complete successfully)
2. download and run the following program: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe
3. after it completes, re-enable self-defense module (disabled in step 1.)

That's about all it takes (provided you have a previous version of avast Home/Pro already installed, of course).

If you don't have the previous version installed, or would prefer to do a clean install (which, in some more serious cases, may be necessary), we have also prepared the full installation packages (setup files). These can be downloaded from the following locations:

http://public.avast.com/~vlk/4.8.1178/setupeng.exe (Home Edition, English version) ~21MB
http://public.avast.com/~vlk/4.8.1178/setupengpro.exe (Professional Edition, English version) ~21MB

http://public.avast.com/~vlk/4.8.1178/setupful.exe (Home Edition, all languages) ~59MB
http://public.avast.com/~vlk/4.8.1178/setupfulpro.exe (Professional Edition, all languages) ~59MB

If your current installation of avast stopped working (and/or cannot be uninstalled), we recommend the following procedure to install this new build from scratch:
1. boot into Windows Safe Mode
2. use aswClear.exe to remove any existing avast installation (or remaints of it)
3. boot back into normal Windows mode and use the above mentioned setup packages to install the new version

There is a number of fixes in this release. Here's an (incomplete) list:

- solved incompatibility of the avast self protection module and the System Restore feature (Windows XP/Vista)
- solved keyboard/mouse lags in some games (e.g. World of Warcraft)
- "Quick" scan now quick again (in the previous version, it was usually slower than "Normal" scan)
- fixed deleting of infected files in some nested archives
- shell extension: under Windows Vista, shortcut targets are now correctly scanned
- boot-time scanner now correctly displays warning messages about corrupted archives
- improved scanning speed in the Simple user interface
- improved handling of scan exceptions
- self protection: improved detection of changes in the INI file
- start of the "avast! Mail Scanner" service should now be fast again
- fixed a problem with avast being installed in a directory with name containing non-Latin characters
- fixed entering of the license key (didn't work in certain configurations)
- improved detection/healing of MBR rootkits
- avast can now correctly handle the case when the INI file is missing/corrupted
- the "Disable startup rootkit scan" option on the Troubleshooting page now effective (in the previous version, it was ignored)

Any comments on this release are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks
Vlk

Offline N@URINE

hi guys !
I have win xp pack 2
I would always click the green window which pops up whenever an update is available, to update my avast.
must I know follow the procedures above or I can update without following them?
thanks in advance
NourinE

Hi NourinE!
If you want to install the latest BETA, you should follow the above instructions, but if you want to download the standart version, you'll have to wait till it come out, and then, follow the green message window.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Minor annoyance - unable to update 1178 with VpsUpd.exe
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2008, 12:25:58 PM »
Hi all

Every so often I take the latest VpsUpd.exe in USB stick, to a friend with no regular internet access.
When doing so today I discovered that 080424-0 will not work on avast! 4.7.
No problem I thought, I'll just upgrade to 4.8. Now the only 4.8 version I had on the stick was 1178 beta which in my experience, is pretty much as good as a GA, so I upgraded using that.
Problem is that after a successful upgrade I was still unable to run VpsUpd.exe - see attached .jpg.   :o (...frustration slowly subsiding)
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Hmm, it seems that VPSupd doesn't "know" about the latest beta. Should be an easy fix, I hope...

Edit:
OK, it's not... I was told that VpsUpd.exe is bound to a particular servers.def (i.e. there would have to be a separate VpsUpd.exe for beta releases)...  :-\
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:19:52 PM by igor »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Thanks for the quick reply igor. I figured I'd have to get a copy of 1169 and take it over anyway.

On a different issue, I posted http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34998.0 in the wrong place.
I've since tried the same thing on another 95OSR2 PC with Home 4.7.1098 and there's no problem (see attachment).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:40:32 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25