Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (now 4.8.1192)  (Read 190630 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
I've seen the post... I tried to reproduce it, but it doesn't behave like this for me (well, at least it doesn't freeze). Also, I'm not aware of any changes in that part of the code... but I'll try some more things.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
The pre-release version has now been updated to 4.8.1185. It contains many fixes. The only thing that we wanted to implement but weren't able to get into this version was having the self-defense module report to the user when there's something blocked (e.g. in MSCONFIG).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
since version 4.8 (both final and this beta) i noticed in Pro version sometimes IE7 crash with error related to ahaScr.dll 4, 8, 1169, 0

most intersting on this one it's completely random rare (only what i can say it happens with multi-tabs in use)
also it happens even Avast! is disabled (services are off, none of them or gui component in memory tho i assume the low level driver is still active)

Dwarden, can you please watch for any improvements?
Even though nothing has changed in Script Blocker for quite a long time (so maybe the problems are more connected to some recent IE updates that avast! version?), we've put some additional checks into the code now... so it might help.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
I've since tried the same thing on another 95OSR2 PC with Home 4.7.1098 and there's no problem
I've now upgraded 4.7.1098 to 4.8.1178 on this machine and still no problem.

Could it be hardware/driver related? The PC that froze has a 1MB PCI video card. I'll try and reproduce it on an old MediaGX Win98 laptop. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 09:46:05 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
The necessity to turn off self-defense prior to running aswBeta.exe is clearly stated in my original post.

I am unable to turn this off as I use Windows 98 S.E

I originally downloaded Avast using this link http://public.avast.com/~vlk/4.8.1178/setupeng.exe (Home Edition, English version) ~21MB

So am I best to wait for program updates only? and is this a beta that I am currently running? as it performed the manual update from 1178 to 1185 without any hiccups.
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
I'll try and reproduce it on an old MediaGX Win98 laptop. 

Result: see attachment. No message - but no freeze either.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
This is with 4.8.1185?

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Good point! I'll find out.

No it's 1169. I'll upgrade to 1185 (it's dialup only at the moment for that PC) and let you know tomorrow.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Even though nothing has changed in Script Blocker for quite a long time
Does Script Blocker work on Vista and IE Protected Mode?
I can't see the splash screen whatever I do...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
since version 4.8 (both final and this beta) i noticed in Pro version sometimes IE7 crash with error related to ahaScr.dll 4, 8, 1169, 0

most intersting on this one it's completely random rare (only what i can say it happens with multi-tabs in use)
also it happens even Avast! is disabled (services are off, none of them or gui component in memory tho i assume the low level driver is still active)

Dwarden, can you please watch for any improvements?
Even though nothing has changed in Script Blocker for quite a long time (so maybe the problems are more connected to some recent IE updates that avast! version?), we've put some additional checks into the code now... so it might help.

i will , for sure ... i got lot of people to care about who use Avast! so it's more like 'I MUST' :) less bugs in Avast! less headache and late night calls lol
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

ronnycopeh

I just update to 4.8.1185 without downloading and running the program, it updated from the Avast program itself and installed and running fine. I didn't know you could do that.

hines232

Hi *,

here I'm again. A service update for avast Home/Pro is coming soon (my guess is in about 1-2 weeks) and as usual, it's my pleasure to announce the availability of a pre-release version of this update.

How to install it:

In case you already have avast 4.7/4.8 installed on your system:
1. NEW! go to avast settings, and on the Troubleshooting page, disable the avast self-defense module (this is NECESSARY for the update to complete successfully)
2. download and run the following program: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe
3. after it completes, re-enable self-defense module (disabled in step 1.)

That's about all it takes (provided you have a previous version of avast Home/Pro already installed, of course).

If you don't have the previous version installed, or would prefer to do a clean install (which, in some more serious cases, may be necessary), we have also prepared the full installation packages (setup files). These can be downloaded from the following locations:

http://public.avast.com/~vlk/4.8.1178/setupeng.exe (Home Edition, English version) ~21MB
http://public.avast.com/~vlk/4.8.1178/setupengpro.exe (Professional Edition, English version) ~21MB

http://public.avast.com/~vlk/4.8.1178/setupful.exe (Home Edition, all languages) ~59MB
http://public.avast.com/~vlk/4.8.1178/setupfulpro.exe (Professional Edition, all languages) ~59MB

If your current installation of avast stopped working (and/or cannot be uninstalled), we recommend the following procedure to install this new build from scratch:
1. boot into Windows Safe Mode
2. use aswClear.exe to remove any existing avast installation (or remaints of it)
3. boot back into normal Windows mode and use the above mentioned setup packages to install the new version

There is a number of fixes in this release. Here's an (incomplete) list:

- solved incompatibility of the avast self protection module and the System Restore feature (Windows XP/Vista)
- solved keyboard/mouse lags in some games (e.g. World of Warcraft)
- "Quick" scan now quick again (in the previous version, it was usually slower than "Normal" scan)
- fixed deleting of infected files in some nested archives
- shell extension: under Windows Vista, shortcut targets are now correctly scanned
- boot-time scanner now correctly displays warning messages about corrupted archives
- improved scanning speed in the Simple user interface
- improved handling of scan exceptions
- self protection: improved detection of changes in the INI file
- start of the "avast! Mail Scanner" service should now be fast again
- fixed a problem with avast being installed in a directory with name containing non-Latin characters
- fixed entering of the license key (didn't work in certain configurations)
- improved detection/healing of MBR rootkits
- avast can now correctly handle the case when the INI file is missing/corrupted
- the "Disable startup rootkit scan" option on the Troubleshooting page now effective (in the previous version, it was ignored)

edit 04/25: the program has now been updated to build 4.8.1185.

Any comments on this release are welcome and appreciated!

Thanks
Vlk
What about Windows ME. ?? No self defence to disable ??. Just down load and go ???Thanks    Avast/Home (free)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 08:43:51 PM by hines232 »

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
hines232 ,

When you say just download and go, are you referring to upgrading the program manually, I take it that you had Avast previously installed?
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
The pre-release version has now been updated to 4.8.1185. It contains many fixes. The only thing that we wanted to implement but weren't able to get into this version was having the self-defense module report to the user when there's something blocked (e.g. in MSCONFIG).

Thanks
Vlk

Vlk,

What about users of ME and 98 S.E that are unable to disable the self defence module that want to perhaps try a new beta program?

I started off by using the home version link on your pre-release page, and I am led to believe that this included the aswbeta.exe files too.  So would that mean that I indeed have and using the beta program right now?

I manually upgraded the 1178 to 1185 and it appeared to work without using any aswbeta.exe although I would be worried as I don't have access to the self defence module to disable it.

I really just want to know how to upgrade with the 1185 that I currently have at the moment.

Hope to hear from you.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

rdmaloyjr

Hi *,

here I'm again. A service update for avast Home/Pro is coming soon (my guess is in about 1-2 weeks) and as usual, it's my pleasure to announce the availability of a pre-release version of this update.

How to install it:

In case you already have avast 4.7/4.8 installed on your system:
1. NEW! go to avast settings, and on the Troubleshooting page, disable the avast self-defense module (this is NECESSARY for the update to complete successfully)

I was able to manually update from 4.8.1178 to 4.8.1185 without disabling avast self-defense module.  Does this mean there is a flaw in the avast self-defense module?