Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (now 4.8.1192)  (Read 190592 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
nightshade, the self-defense module (as with most NEW avast features) is for Windows 2000+ only. This is why it cannot be disabled (well, in fact, it cannot be enabled ;))

rdmaloyjr, why would that be a flaw in the self-defense system? To get from 1178 to 1185 you don't even have to run aswBeta.exe. Simply invoking the program update would actually do the trick. That's because you're now using the beta stream; the beta stream is always valid for all beta refreshes, and once the product is released officially, it is merged to the release stream.

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
I was able to manually update from 4.8.1178 to 4.8.1185 without disabling avast self-defense module.  Does this mean there is a flaw in the avast self-defense module?

Was it because the radio button was grey out for the self defence module therefore you were unable to disable it?

Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

rdmaloyjr

nightshade,

Actually I forgot to disable it. :-[

vlk,

I guess I misunderstood your instructions about disabling the self-defense module before updating.

Thank you for clearing it up. :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 01:35:15 AM by rdmaloyjr »

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
nightshade, the self-defense module (as with most NEW avast features) is for Windows 2000+ only. This is why it cannot be disabled (well, in fact, it cannot be enabled ;))

rdmaloyjr, why would that be a flaw in the self-defense system? To get from 1178 to 1185 you don't even have to run aswBeta.exe. Simply invoking the program update would actually do the trick. That's because you're now using the beta stream; the beta stream is always valid for all beta refreshes, and once the product is released officially, it is merged to the release stream.

Hope this helps,
Vlk

Hi Vlk,

Thanks for your kind reply,

I first installed Avast Free Home 4.8.1178 from the home user link http://public.avast.com/~vlk/4.8.1178/setupeng.exe (Home Edition, English version) ~21MB that apparently is the beta, although I didn't know that at the time that it was a beta.

I upgraded to 1185 by invoking the program update from 1178, so can I keep doing this for all time when there is either a program update and or beta refresh? due to the fact that I am unable to disable the self defense module? or can I only keep doing it this way for beta refreshes?
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Can I keep doing this for all time when there is either a program update and or beta refresh?
Yes.

due to the fact that I am unable to disable the self defense module?
Once in beta program, you will update it with or without self defense module on.
The best things in life are free.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Once in beta program, you will update it with or without self defense module on.

And what about when it goes out of beta to an official release?
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot

You're asking the same in two different threads...
The answer is the same...

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster

I need an answer to this please.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35043.msg294435#msg294435
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster

You still havent answered my question on that post.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot

You still havent answered my question on that post.
Keep there or here... choose.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@ nightshade
Your questions was answered by what Vlk said to rdmaloyjr

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Yes, so would I always be using the beta stream?
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Until you update to official release.
To enter a subsequent beta program you'll need to manually run aswbeta.exe again.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Until you update to official release.
To enter a subsequent beta program you'll need to manually run aswbeta.exe again.

ok, and this is what confused me you see, because I never ran the aswbeta.exe in the first place, and yet I have a beta, I think this was because the link I used included the beta release.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Solemn

Pleased to report that the issue regarding this:

2.) This may be related to the first issue, but I've noticed that avast!'s providers take considerably longer than usual to all activate/run.  Upon reboot, it used to say 4 providers running for a very short moment before instantly changing to 6 providers running (the outlook/mail provider is off of course).  This great performance was witnessed in 4.7 and even still in the early 4.8 beta versions.  Now it's different, where avast! reports that 4 providers are running for a long time.  Then after a while, 5 providers are running, and it stays like that for a long time as well.  After quite a bit of time after that, the 6th provider finally starts and the process is complete, but I can tell you the overall time for this to full setup on my relatively high performance rig is a lot longer than I'd expect (especially compared to the earlier versions of avast! that didn't exhibit this behaviour).  I can also note that the 6th provider takes the longest to start compared to the 5th and the rest in general.

...is solved! Looks like the providers speedily start up like they used to now in 4.7 after the update to 4.8.1185 :)  Great work on this update!