Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (now 4.8.1192)  (Read 190198 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I think this was because the link I used included the beta release.
Yes, this is the first time we have a standalone download for the beta setup.exe file.
The best things in life are free.

hines232

hines232 ,

When you say just download and go, are you referring to upgrading the program manually, I take it that you had Avast previously installed?
Yes. Latest version Avast Home/Free (updated today twice) I do not want to upgrade to "beta", Just waiting for it to come down the pipe line for normal use !!. Should I  Let it "Auto" install or "manually install it ?. (Windows ME) Thanks
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:51:29 AM by hines232 »

Sesame

Yes. Latest version Avast Home/Free (updated today twice) I do not want to upgrade to "beta", Just waiting for it to come down the pipe line for normal use !!. Should I  Let it "Auto" install or "manually install it ?. (Windows ME) Thanks
If you'd like to know what version you are using, check your version number.  The current official version is 4.8.1169 as you can see at the version history page.  So, a version number any larger than 4.8.1169 means beta versions.  Whether you manually/automatically update, as long as you are using official versions, it won't download beta versions.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Good point! I'll find out.

No it's 1169. I'll upgrade to 1185 (it's dialup only at the moment for that PC) and let you know tomorrow.

igor
Upgraded to 1185 today, result same as 1169.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

dypsis

Can we please get the links updated for v4.8.1185?

Thanks...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
No sure I understand the "link" request.

As the start of the thread makes clear.  The standard way to enter the beta program is to download and run "aswbeta.exe".  That puts you into the beta program and will download the current beta version of avast (in this case build 1185).

In fact, given discussions elsewhere I think it is most unfortunate for there to be any formal links to beta releases of avast that unsuspecting users might use and enter a beta program without being aware that they are doing so.  I am not suggesting that (in special cases) avast may not need to publish them but having them highlighted - as at the start of this thread - is not a great idea.

I would suggest to Vlk that consideration of removing the links might well be in order.     
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 02:01:10 PM by alanrf »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
No sure I understand the "link" request.

As the start of the thread makes clear.  The standard way to enter the beta program is to download and run "aswbeta.exe".  That puts you into the beta program and will download the current beta version of avast (in this case build 1185).

In fact, given discussions elsewhere I think it is most unfortunate for there to be any formal links to beta releases of avast that unsuspecting users might use and enter a beta program without being aware that they are doing so.  I am not suggesting that (in special cases) avast may not need to publish them but having them highlighted - as at the start of this thread - is not a great idea.

I would suggest to Vlk that consideration of removing the links might well be in order.    

The direct links were useful primarily for those for which the official build didn't work at all.
I understand that links may be distributed without our control, but, it's not such a problem IMHO as

1. as soon as the update is officially released, we'll put them offline
2. as soon as the update is officially released, those who have already installed the program using them (or will install it using the downloaded setup exe) will be automatically transferred to the "release stream" as soon as the avast updater is run for the first time (e.g. while updating the virus definitions).

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Sesame

Hmm...I was inclined to agree with alanrf on this one.  However, thinking of it, the pre-release version seems to be quite stable and people seem to have more problem with that it is technically still beta rather than that they actually find problems with it.  So, I just take it that the team is quite confident with the quality of the "pre-release" version.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 07:08:50 PM by Rumpelstiltskin »

hines232

If you'd like to know what version you are using, check your version number.  The current official version is 4.8.1169 as you can see at the version history page.  So, a version number any larger than 4.8.1169 means beta versions.  Whether you manually/automatically update, as long as you are using official versions, it won't download beta versions.
Original Post !!! I am using latest Avast, system is ME, do not have Protection shield with ME, (which you are to bring down with new install, of newest version of Avast). How do we using ME install ????. And do we let it auto install or manually install ??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
do not have Protection shield with ME
There isn't a shield called Protection.
Maybe you're talking about the self defense module (or feature).

(which you are to bring down with new install, of newest version of Avast). How do we using ME install ????. And do we let it auto install or manually install ??
Do you want to install the beta?
Download the updater (http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe) and run it or go here for more information.
The best things in life are free.

Sesame

Original Post !!! I am using latest Avast, system is ME, do not have Protection shield with ME, (which you are to bring down with new install, of newest version of Avast). How do we using ME install ????. And do we let it auto install or manually install ??
It doesn't matter.  You can update either manually or automatically.

(which you are to bring down with new install, of newest version of Avast). How do we using ME install ????. And do we let it auto install or manually install ??
Download the updater (http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe) and run it or go here for more information.
Tech, I think hines232 doesn't want to have beta version.  I am not sure which version he/she is using but even if he/she is using a beta version, he/she will get the official version sooner or later anyway.  Whether he sets it manually or automatically doesn't matter as long as he/she updates when the official version is released.  Hence the answer.

hines232

do not have Protection shield with ME
There isn't a shield called Protection.
Maybe you're talking about the self defense module (or feature).

"Self defence module" (not in windows ME Avast ver.) I stand corrected Thanks. I think I have the answer.

hines232

It doesn't matter.  You can update either manually or automatically.

Tech, I think hines232 doesn't want to have beta version.  I am not sure which version he/she is using but even if he/she is using a beta version, he/she will get the official version sooner or later anyway.  Whether he sets it manually or automatically doesn't matter as long as he/she updates when the official version is released.  Hence the answer.
;DHence the answer is correct. Thanks. (just needed to know if I had to do any thing special for windows ME.)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
The beta has now been updated to v4.8.1187. To get this version from 1178 or 1185, simply invoke the Program Update feature from within the avast GUI (you don't need to run aswBeta.exe again).

Main changes in this release:
- solved the intermittent self-defense process identification issue (resulting e.g. in random INI modification consent dialogs)
- attempt to solve a synchronization problem in the AV engine initialization
- changed the way INI modification consent dialog is shown. Now, it is shown only if notepad.exe is trying to access the file

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:12:11 AM by igor »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Sesame

(you need to run aswBeta.exe again).
(The italic by me)
Shouldn't these be "don't need to"?

- solved the intermittent self-defense process identification issue (resulting e.g. in random INI modification consent dialogs)
We'd gotten the consent dialog first time when Avast! was attempting update from 4.8.1185 to 4.8.1187 (Means, we haven't had this message with any VPS update).  Although I confirmed the dialog, Avast! told me that it didn't have enough privilege to continue the operation.  Despite of this, strangely, Avast! prompted me to restart the computer and I followed the instruction.  ???

The procedure felt odd but, after the restart, the version number says 4.8.1187.  Hopefully, this will be the end of the bad behavior by the "drunk" self-defense module.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:42:48 AM by Rumpelstiltskin »