Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (now 4.8.1192)  (Read 190182 times)

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the pointer.

VLK  would love to be able to give you a memory dump, but the laptop has a cut down keybaord - so only one CTRL key.

I have made the changes and tried it, but no joy.

It is a Belinea s.book - but is running full XP SP2 - not a cut down version.

Kind regards

Iain

Try using the FN button
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

MiguelAngelXP

Thanks for your concern, but for the time being I will leave the Scan rootkit at Startup disabled
Why? Is it a problem?

Hmmm, for me it's like a chasing spirit,  :P it haunts me. I tried the avast4.ini edit solution and I was didn't worrk for me. So I left it disabled.

Kindly regards
MiguelAngel  ;D

ikilner

Hi Tried the FN key and even plugging an external USB keyboard in - still no joy.

Am rolling back to 4.7.

If I get any issues with the other 19 machines I need to put this on I'll post back.

Thanks for trying.

Iain

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I tried the avast4.ini edit solution and I was didn't worrk for me.
What do you mean? Can't you edit the file?
The best things in life are free.

BerettaMan

Hi Vlk.
I have tried to download  a copy of 4.8.1187 however the link to public.avast does not seem to be active???
Baz

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Hi Vlk.
I have tried to download  a copy of 4.8.1187 however the link to public.avast does not seem to be active???
Baz
Why don't you update to beta in the conventional way?
Download the updater (http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe) and run it.

BerettaMan

Hi Vlk.
Baz
Download the updater (http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe) and run it.

Hi Tech
Simple answer. Because of a recent problem with SR and Avast which I have used for a long time I removed and
tried other AV software to be sure the problem was in Avast.
I wanted to do a complete new install of the Beta - not upgrade 4.7.
Why bother with a link to 4.8.1187 if the link does not work!!!
Guess I will forget about it until the "official" release.
Baz

onlysomeone

Hi Vlk.
Baz

Hi Tech
Simple answer. Because of a recent problem with SR and Avast which I have used for a long time I removed and
tried other AV software to be sure the problem was in Avast.
Why bother with a link to 4.8.1187 if the link does not work!!!
Guess I will forget about it until the "official" release.
Baz

why does the link not work?! - if you have an older Avast!-edition installed it upgrades to the actual version...

but if you want an other link just go to the first side of this topic:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34612.0

EDIT: The links on the first side are for the whole program...

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Good point! I'll find out.

No it's 1169. I'll upgrade to 1185 (it's dialup only at the moment for that PC) and let you know tomorrow.

igor
Upgraded to 1185 today, result same as 1169.

Re: Freezing and missing message when 'Push iAVS' checked in Home version, 95OSR2
Upgraded (finally) from 1185 to 1187 today. All good, no freeze, message appears.  :)
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

MiguelAngelXP

I tried the avast4.ini edit solution and I was didn't worrk for me.
What do you mean? Can't you edit the file?

I edited the avast4.ini file as the tutorial says but it didn't work, and well , I will let it go, avast 4.8 is working fine just the way I like it like the song

Thanks Tech  :)
Kindly regards
MiguelAngelXP  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
You can download version 4.8 (not 4.7) and then upgrade to beta.
It won't make a difference at all.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
i noticed that when i use quickscan (4.8 last beta) on xGB folder with various video file formats (wmv, avi, mpg, mpeg, flv, mkv)
then it takes avast very very long time to complete the task (similar with other scans on same files)...

it seems Avast! read the whole file from start to end and it's also slow (approx 2-3 times slower than disk read speed)

reason?
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I assume you mean ashQuick.exe with is the most thorough of that scans as the Quick (on-demand, simple user interface) scan I don't think scans many of the file types you mentioned by default ?

So if you are using ashQuick.ex in lieu of a scheduled scan that wasn't something it was designed to do the bulk scanning of files, folders, partitions or drives. You could exclude your media folders for on-demand scans, which includes the ashquick.exe scan (Program Settings, Exclusions).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
yes it's only on the thorough scan style the standard scan goes quite fast (18s for 15+ GB)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
The beta has now been updated to v4.8.1192. To get this version from any of the previous beta builds, simply invoke the Program Update feature from within the avast GUI (you don't need to run aswBeta.exe again).

This is very likely the last beta build before the product goes gold.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.