Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING **: pre-release version of upcoming avast update (now 4.8.1192)  (Read 190683 times)

Solemn

Using Avast 4.8.1192
Picture is self explanatory.
So what does that scanner pop up message mean? Is everything ok?

??? ???

Got a similar bunch of messages that happened immediately after today's VPS update.  I wasn't running anything else at that moment which confuses me a bit.  No errors appear to exist in Windows' Event Viewer or Avast's logs that seem relevant to this issue. 

EDIT: Also was able to reproduce these errors everytime I tried doing a registry scan using Ace Utilities.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:01:51 AM by Solemn »

MiguelAngelXP

Thanks for your concern, but for the time being I will leave the Scan rootkit at Startup disabled
Why? Is it a problem?

Hmmm, for me it's like a chasing spirit,  :P it haunts me. I tried the avast4.ini edit solution and I was didn't worrk for me. So I left it disabled.

Kindly regards
MiguelAngel  ;D

Hi everyone :

Well , I want to recover my piece of mind. So I discovered to manage the Antirootkit Startup Scanner, the solution was so awkwardly easy that I didn't realize it before.  :-[

When I'm using my PC in a routine mode I enable it
When I'm performing a maitenance task, I just have to disabled it (especially if I have to reboot my PC)

Well thanks for reading me, now I settled this issue with my beloved avast antivirus  ;D

Kindly Regards
MiguelAngelXP  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Why 4.8.1192 is asking for booting?
I'm already up-to-date and have boot this morning?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
No reboot requests here with 4.8.1192, perhaps time to go hunting the reboot.txt file, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fazio93

Using Avast 4.8.1192
Picture is self explanatory.
So what does that scanner pop up message mean? Is everything ok?

??? ???

Got a similar bunch of messages that happened immediately after today's VPS update.  I wasn't running anything else at that moment which confuses me a bit.  No errors appear to exist in Windows' Event Viewer or Avast's logs that seem relevant to this issue. 

EDIT: Also was able to reproduce these errors everytime I tried doing a registry scan using Ace Utilities.

got it with CFP

Sammo

got it with CFP

I get the same thing with a-squared HiJackFree.

fazio93

got it with CFP

I get the same thing with a-squared HiJackFree.
i guess anything that plays around with avast files...

Offline pinuccio

??? ???

Using Avast 4.8.1192 and sp3

i had i thing like that while unistalling lavasoft adaware

Firebytes

I don't have the beta and if I am going to have to deal with all those popups, access denied messages, etc., all the time then I have no desire to have it or the official release either. Hopefully it will be straightened out soon.

Sesame

i guess anything that plays around with avast files...
Agreed.  It is just the self defense module seems to be doing it's job, or, protecting its files/registries.

I don't have the beta and if I am going to have to deal with all those popups, access denied messages, etc., all the time then I have no desire to have it or the official release either. Hopefully it will be straightened out soon.
To "convince" Avast! not to interfere with installation/uninstallation of your trusted applications, you don't need to disable Avast! itself but only the self-defense module.  Go to avast settings, and on the Troubleshooting page, check "disable the avast self-defense module."  Of course, don't forget to uncheck the option after installation.  I installed XPSP3 in this way and have had no problem.

Alwil team may come up with better ideas such as white-listing/interactive messages in the future.  However, the pop-ups must scare off the many users who don't know the existence of the self-defense module and/or don't have even the vaguest idea on what it is doing.

Firebytes

I was aware of the self-defense module and how to disable it, but I really don't want something else I have to remember to disable every time I want to install a program. Besides, if I understand some of the earlier posts by others, avast is throwing the pop-ups concerning access denials just from users opening programs they already have on their systems. I certainly don't want to have to disable self-defense every time I want to run a program.

If the access denials are just informational and don't interfere with other programs installation and operation then I won't want to see continued pop-ups concerning them. If the denials will interfere with other programs' normal operations, then hopefully avast will find a way to deal with it. Right now I am running the last release (version 4.8.1169) which has the self-defense module and I never see those pop-ups, so I assume (hope) it is a bug in how self-defense is working in the beta and that it will be dealt with before another official release. I guess if nothing else I could just permanently disable the self-defense, if it works in the next official release in the same way it seems to work in the newest beta. Not what I would really want to do but...

fazio93

the only thing new in the beta are the actual pop-ups, which will now prob be disabled b/c of all the confusion its causing

Sesame

I was aware of the self-defense module and how to disable it, but I really don't want something else I have to remember to disable every time I want to install a program. Besides, if I understand some of the earlier posts by others, avast is throwing the pop-ups concerning access denials just from users opening programs they already have on their systems. I certainly don't want to have to disable self-defense every time I want to run a program.
I was mentioning only SP3 update, which cannot be so frequent.  Now I wonder if these pop-ups with more common applications are related with the update to SP3 (and the subsequent change of the system integrity), to the current beta or with even both updates.  Under our environment (XPSP3), there are no such pop-ups yet.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
The SP3 update was extreme (believe me).  While an update like SP3 will not be a common type of change it has yet to become the mainstream update for XP users in their millions. 

If avast management feels brave and is willing to risk a PR disaster on their hands then I invite them to go to production with the current popups and let's see what the user community and the press makes of the popups as they install SP3 in their hordes.

Even for the rest - we have seen the AOL response and it is still the case that every start of Outlook is going to cause a popup (unless it is fixed) and btw the Outlook popup is completely unrelated to SP3.

Surely most users of an antivirus product are really looking for a "set it and forget it" product; not one that tells them they are being saved from every bit of sloppy coding in every other product they use (or even in the antivirus itself).  The fact that AOL or the SP3 update is badly written is almost totally irrelevant ... it is avast that is now thrusting errors before the user that the user can do nothing about, that represent no real threat to the user and the users will be right to ask why avast is thrusting their system into a situation that is non-threatening and often beyond their comprehension.

I have to believe that the best option for avast and the user community as whole is to make these popup displays optional but agree with friend Tech in another thread that they should be logged so that there is some evidence of what happened.  There will be plenty of opportunity to review such a decision at a later date - but concurrent with a major operating system update is far from the best time for this innovation in avast.     
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 08:20:27 AM by alanrf »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
the only thing new in the beta are the actual pop-ups, which will now prob be disabled b/c of all the confusion its causing

Yes, I think Vlk or Igor said it in another related topic and the consideration to remove the display of the notifications so as not to scare the horses so to speak. So we will have to see what the decision is.

I like Alan believe this simply can't be let loose as it is going to cause undue concern amongst users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security