Author Topic: Computer restarts when i scan with avast. HElp  (Read 5048 times)

ThE pSyLenT OnE

Computer restarts when i scan with avast. HElp
« on: April 10, 2008, 10:12:55 AM »
Hello ppl. I'm unsure if i have a virus or somthing but everytime i scan with avast the computer reboots and also whenevr i play a computer game it reboots. Is this a trojan? I read on the net that there is a trojan which does this sort of thing and if it is a trojan how do i remove it? Help me pleeeez. I've posted my HIjackthis log along with the post. Also i keep finding kernel32.dll and winsock.dll and wsock32.dll in my chest. Are they infected?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:19:17 AM by ThE pSyLenT OnE »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Computer restarts when i scan with avast. HElp
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:21:07 AM »
Your log file doesn't show anything unusual. But you are using a old version of HijackThis, your internet explorer is also not up-to-date and I see no software firewall. If you have a router with hardware firewall, you do not need a software firewall ofcourse.

Disable auto-reboot, write down the number (error) on the bsod and take it to Google and the MS knowledgebase (Right Click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup And Recovery. Note the "Automatically reboot" checkbox)

Or mention the full error code here (eg: 0x0120019A)

ThE pSyLenT OnE

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:01:16 AM »
i ran avast and disabled auto-reboot , no errors came. then after i ran avst in safe mode an error 42003 , itz an internal program error, came. What does this mean? 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:04:04 AM by ThE pSyLenT OnE »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:21:41 AM »
Are you using Windows XP or Vista?
If so, please, go to folder \windows\minidump and send the newest (recent) .mdmp files for analysis.
Better if you can compress (zip) them and add some information about the BSOD and the link for this thread.  ;)

Send an email to any of these addresses:
vlk (at) avast.com
rypacek (at) asw.cz

Or upload to the any of these anonymous ftp servers:
ftp://ftp.asw.cz/incoming
ftp://www2.asw.cz/incoming

Control Panel > System > Advanced > Initialization & restoring Settings > Choose the dump options (removing the autorestart in case of failure)

Besides Google also you can use:
MS knowledgebase: http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
Free memory tester (Run it overnight): http://www.memtest86.com/
XP error explanations: http://www.xptuneup.com/xptuneup_stopmessages.htm
The best things in life are free.

ThE pSyLenT OnE

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 02:46:51 PM »
Thnx.

ThE pSyLenT OnE

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:54:49 PM »
hi again people. I discovered another problem in my system , i'm unable to perform a system restore. Any ideas as to why this is happening? I have 1.50 GB of RAM , using windows XP Professional SP2 and Avast 4.8. Also could any of u suggest a good firewall program. I have tried Zone Alarm and used to be the cause of my system lagging.Help would be greatly appriciated. Thnx

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 03:12:31 PM »
From what I've read on the forums, The Avast self-defense module will interfere with system restore. Try this: right click on the A ball in the system tray, click on program settings, then troubleshooting. put a check in disable Avast self defense module, Then try a system restore.

As for a firewall, I would AT LEAST have windows Firewall turned on.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

ThE pSyLenT OnE

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 03:17:38 PM »
alright , appricate it man. i do have the windows firewall turned on though

aliceincode

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 03:22:22 PM »
Hi All

I have a similar problem to this also, although i have gone a lot further with it i have no answers, and am hoping for some help with this issue.

This started 4 days ago when i updated to the newest version of Avast AV. All of a sudden for the first time in years BSOD!, I rebooted and went to scan with avast and again BSOD, I tried to uninstall the version...BSOD ... I went to safe mode and managed to uninstall Avast although It still BSOD!! but did uninstall...no I can' touch system restore it BSOD as soon as you go near it!!
I rebooted to windows, and BSOD, I shut down and tried to format the hard rive, as soon as windows files began to load into the installation folder BSOD!!

I tried around 6 more times to format all with same results, I swapped hard drives still BSOD. I changed RAM ... still BSOD!!
Microsoft advised me my motherboard was dead, but I did not believe this as only when I touched in any way windows was the problem occurring.

I went into recovery console and rewrote the MBR.
replaced the boot.ini
netdect.dll and NTDRL.dll,

I formatted the hard drive from inside the recovery console and walah :) windows installed!
everything was just fine and the computer was running like a breeze right up to the point that i tried to install Avast again, this is after installing all the driver's sp2, and other programs ... BSOD on Avast install!!
4 times BSOD till I got back into safe mode and uninstalled Avast!!

I have now not any AV program running and I am not very confident The only thing wich is keeping my computer running at the moment is the lack of security software! I am just trying to keep my machine running long enough to find out what this is!! It is definitely targeting Avast! although it also disables Microsoft Defender and does something to the registration of the program! so defender gets an error and cannot update.

The BSOD stop error was to begin with a 7E, then after uninstalling avast it became a 4E, then after trying to format the hard drive it was a PFN_List corrupt and says my windows CD's are corrupt, that's 2 separate Windows xp CD's corrupt, i do not think so...this is some deadly nasty virus which is planting itself into some memory other than that which is on the hard drive or the ram!

Don't understand it at all! or how it is possible that it is doing this!

It is hard not to think of it as a hardware issue but it definitely is not hardware, it is windows related...the machine runs fine until you try to enter windows format windows or anything to do with windows GUI. the problem does not exist in Recovery console!
Can anyone help with this?

It also has bad effects on Mocrosoft office applications and starts corrupting files and also causing BSOD.

I would appreciate any help I can find.

Cheers
Alana