Author Topic: Avast error?  (Read 8408 times)

neiby

Re: Avast error?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 11:57:58 PM »
Four GB isn't very much space. It wouldn't take more than your operating system plus a handful of large applications and temp files to eat up your drive. Did you try the disk cleanup tool yet?

neiby

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 12:01:42 AM »
You might want to download the Wise Disk Cleaner if you have room. It should clean up a bunch of old junk that you don't need, which should free up several megabytes of space.

http://www.wisecleaner.com/

That page also has a registry cleaner that is pretty good, but scroll down a bit for the disk cleaner.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 12:57:15 AM »
Is there any reason why I might have so little space?  I know that might be hard to answer, but I don't really have that much stuff on my desktop.  The last things I installed were Avast and Comodos firewall.  What else could take up so much space?

We still don't know what your operating system is (at least I can't seem to see it mentioned), I suspect with Comodo on it may be XP ?

If XP that can consume large amounts of space. My windows folder is 2.57GB for starters before you add anything. System Restore uses more chunks of space with the System Volume Information folder, but that totally depends on what OS you are using, win98 and win2000 don't have system restore.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DrScientist

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 02:39:49 AM »
Is there any reason why I might have so little space?  I know that might be hard to answer, but I don't really have that much stuff on my desktop.  The last things I installed were Avast and Comodos firewall.  What else could take up so much space?

We still don't know what your operating system is (at least I can't seem to see it mentioned), I suspect with Comodo on it may be XP ?

If XP that can consume large amounts of space. My windows folder is 2.57GB for starters before you add anything. System Restore uses more chunks of space with the System Volume Information folder, but that totally depends on what OS you are using, win98 and win2000 don't have system restore.

My operating system is Windows 2000. 

I tried the disk clean up, but really, there was not much to get rid of.  Just some temporary internet files, and that's about it. I'll give the Wise Disk Cleaner thing a try.  Although, I think I should just invest in a new computer.  I don't even have the original disks for it.

Malkor

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 07:49:38 AM »
My two cents here is the following.  Although use at your own risk.

First thing is to look at Add/Remove programs and see what all is there.  Leave drivers and programs you use alone, but some unused programs or programs that require a lot of space you can delete.

Second I would delete Windows Update files if they exist.  I have not used 2000 Pro in a while, but it should be in C:\WINNT\Software Distribution\Download.  A new computer running XP can accumulate up to 600MB of updates in that folder.

Third, is look at "My Documents" and see what all is yours and not yours.

Fourth, look at all user profiles that are on the disk.  Companies often employ multiple users, so there is a chance if networking was not a primary mode (most home systems log on to a profile on the hard disk, but some companies opt for users to connect to a server on Windows that enables them to use any computer in their network) that there could be space used by other accounts.  I know account options can be accessed in the Control Panel via "User Accounts."  However there is an option to leave the users in and flush out the profile, by right clicking "My Computer" and going over to the Advanced tab.  I am not 100% sure how 2000 works, but there should be a User Profiles box and a setting button on it.  Clicking it will load a screen with all profiles and their space used.

That is all for now, there are a few more tips but those would be more advanced and time consuming.

Edit: Deleting profiles will break programs that are installed to that profile only.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 07:57:11 AM by Malkor »