Author Topic: avast 4.8- a program is attempting to modify an avast INI file  (Read 3482 times)

XINLAI-A

Hi, tech,

My avast updated to V4.8 Professional the other day,  and today when I use it to scan my computer,  I got a message box on screen with the heading Avast! INI file modification during the process - a program is attempting to modify an avast INI file,  possibly changing some of its system-wide settings ... Do you want to continue?     And then I clicked More Information, it tells me- requestiong process,  C:\Program File\Google\Google Desktop Search\ Google Desktop exe.    Finally, I clicked the No button and began scanning.
I just wanna know what's this?  Is there a problem or something? I was wondering if you could tell me how to get rid of it? Thanks for your help.

Have a nice day! :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast 4.8- a program is attempting to modify an avast INI file
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:01:53 AM »
This problem was present in 'old' 4.8 betas... are you sure you have the latest program and virus database version.
Also, is it a typo the blank spaces on the Google Desktop exe file name or not?
The best things in life are free.

gabrielg

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 04:37:51 AM »
I installed Avast on a machine last month.  I have a similar problem, once a week, when my Yosemite tape software runs the weekly complete drive backup.  Daily incremental backups do not produce this problem, at least so far.

Problem description:  A program is attempting to modify an avast! INI file,  possibly changing some of its system-wide settings ... Do you want to continue?
If I click on yes, the backup continues correctly.  It is annoying because I need to be there.  Otherwise, the backup will not continue.
Is there a workaround without affecting security?

I am running Avast! version 4.8 Professional, build April 2008, 4.8.1169, Xtreme toolkit 1.9.4.0, Active Skin 4.2.7.3, file version 080411-0.

Thanks for your help.

gabrielg

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 04:45:42 AM »
Oops, forgot to specify:  machine is P4, running WinXP Pro SP2.

ravenweng2003

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:25:04 AM »
Please help! Am having same prob "attempting to modify"
Ending with
More info:
Requesting process
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\iso\mcshield.exe

Happens on every boot. Also whether or not coincidental since the prob started cannot restore which was my first fix try.
Thanks for any help
ravenweng2003

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 07:31:30 AM »
ravenweng2003

please see this thread.

ravenweng2003

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 04:11:54 AM »
To: alanrf
Thanks very much for the assist. System working better than ever.
Thanks again
ravenweng2003