Author Topic: Avast 4.8 and SIW 1.76.exe trojan  (Read 3504 times)

speedlever

Avast 4.8 and SIW 1.76.exe trojan
« on: April 13, 2008, 01:08:26 AM »
I have another file I would like to submit to VirusTotal. However, I cannot upload it to VirusTotal as Vista/64 says I don't have permission to open the file in question.

With XP, I can send it. But XP is on my laptop and I can't send the file over my WLAN.

How do I get Vista to let me upload the file to VirusTotal?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 4.8 and SIW 1.76.exe trojan
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 01:25:29 AM »
There is a email option to send to VT also, does the same thing happen ?

Will it let you copy it to a different location, is this a UAC hurdle if so will it not let you enter the administrator password ?

Do you actually have permissions, e.g. administrator ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

speedlever

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 02:40:27 AM »
Yeah, I tried email too but got the same restriction. I'm pretty sure it's a Vista UAC thing, but haven't figured out how to circumvent it yet.

I was able to copy it from the Virus Chest to the Suspect folder. I can copy it within Windows Explorer on the Vista/64 machine. Of course I get the virus alert when I do so. But I can't copy it across the LAN to my XP machine.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 02:43:54 AM by speedlever »

speedlever

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »
Update: I went to the properties of both the containing folder and the file and changed security to give both Administrators and Users full control. Still run into the same restriction as depicted in the prior message.

How do I get around this in order to submit the file to VirusTotal?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 02:08:10 PM »
If you have it in the suspect, which I'm not sure you have the original unencrypted version, as you said you copied it from the chest.

You should open the chest (right click the avast ' a ' icon) and select the Infected Files section. Find the file and right click on it and select export, select the suspect folder as the destination. Since this is a folder you created I would have though you would have permissions in that folder.

Unfortunately as I said I have avoided the lovely Vista so I have no practical experience of it. Have you tried logging on as 'the administrator' assuming you can ?

Will it let you burn it to CD or copy to a USB drive, you may need to temporarily exclude these drives from scans so avast doesn't alert. Once you have it off-line you could transfer it to the XP machine.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 05:08:18 PM »
I have another file I would like to submit to VirusTotal. However, I cannot upload it to VirusTotal as Vista/64 says I don't have permission to open the file in question.
Can you say what is the infected file name, where was it found (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx)?
Which is the size of this file?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 05:18:05 PM »
If it's a UAC problem try this:

Click on start, then click on the picture that you have for your account, then click on "turn user account control on or off" then remove the check from "use user account control" then reboot. Don't forget to turn it back on when your done.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!