Author Topic: not enough user rights to continue  (Read 7151 times)

aqua

not enough user rights to continue
« on: April 12, 2008, 07:17:39 PM »
Hello ,Ive been using Avast for five six years now and just had a problem .Currently using 4.7 free edition.
Heres what happened,had a problem with another program, happens sometimes I did a registry clean to fix that problem that didnt work this time.
Now whenever I try to update avast a window pops up and says Not enough user rights too continue and when I try a virus scan a window pops up and says not enough media .

So far after restoring all the entries back to the way it was before the same problem happens even when trying to uninstall and reinstall Avast I get the same window, not enough user rights to continue.
 Im lost on this because theres never been any problems before with  AVast.
Anybody know whats happened?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: not enough user rights to continue
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
What OS are you using ?
Does your user account have administrator rights ?

Download the latest version of avast 4.8.1169 http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

Now uninstall (skip if it failed before), reboot (skip if no step 1, run the uninstall utility, reboot, install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

aqua

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »
Im using windows xp home edition ,no administrator rights .
I followed directions for uninstall , reinstall and updated but still get the same message.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 08:51:18 PM »
I don't know if you can uninstall avast without admin rights, especially if the account used to install it had admin rights. Did you run the uninstall utility and did that complete with success ?

Try the uninstall, reinstall from an account with admin privileges.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security