Author Topic: Unattended scanning  (Read 2266 times)

archp2008

Unattended scanning
« on: April 16, 2008, 01:37:12 PM »
Hello,

I have more than  a million files on my two 72 gb drivers. The scans takes several hours so I prefer to do them overnight.  When I get up in the morning I find the scan has stopped - often near the beginning because it has found a virus and is waiting for me to confirm what action I want to take.  How do I defer all such user actions to the end of the scan?  Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Unattended scanning
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 02:25:15 PM »
What version of avast do you have Home or Pro ?

In the pro version you can set up automatic actions to take on detection.

These automated options are only available in the Pro version. This is a limitation of the Home (free) version that it has interactive input requirement, there have to be differences in the Home/Pro version and this is one of them, the programmers have to eat ;D

If home I guess you are using the ashQuick.exe and windows task scheduler as a work around.
In the Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. This way, no action will be taken and you will given the results at the end of the scan (and you can perform actions from there). Over time this will become less of an issue, as the resident, on-access scanners are designed to intercept infection before it gets into your system. So if you are getting these on a regular basis I would suggest you review your security.

There was one suggestion to place something like the eicar test virus at the start of the first drive to be scanned in a file like ~a-eicar.com that should soon be detected and you can do the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security