Author Topic: Today's update 0804-13-0 blocks internet access - sens.dll  (Read 13411 times)

PiCo

Re: Today's update 0804-13-0 blocks internet access - sens.dll
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 03:02:28 AM »
Nice honest way to put it :)

I wish you the best of luck dealing with these issues!

2007i

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 03:27:52 AM »
Yeah... is the price of the improvement..

indeed a painful improvement for too many out there ending up in a clean-wipe to make 4.8 work  :-\
not exactly a perfect migration, no?  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 03:34:04 AM »
indeed a painful improvement for too many out there ending up in a clean-wipe to make 4.8 work  :-\ not exactly a perfect migration, no?  ::)
Indeed any improvement or upgrade will bring problems and headaches specially for an invasive software as an antivirus. Some of them are already solved in the latest beta. Things are quiet for me on Vista, no problems at all. I've learned to believe in the seriousness of Alwil team: problems will be solved, the sooner the better.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2008, 01:32:21 PM »
Yeah... is the price of the improvement..

indeed a painful improvement for too many out there ending up in a clean-wipe to make 4.8 work  :-\
not exactly a perfect migration, no?  ::)

Lets face it we are spoilt with the avast incremental updates, which have served me well for the 4 years I have been using it and no problems updating to 4.8. I even went through the beta trial, which on most programs require that you uninstall the beta before installing the regular version.

I have numerous applications that any program update requires a re-installation or it falls over. So we have gotten used to the incremental update working, so when it fails it is a big issue.

He**, a JAVA update requires totally uninstall previous versions and install the latest update as there is zero update process, what an absolute waste of bandwidth and a right royal pain in the a** on dial-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

psw

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »
I'm doubt that it is Avast! bug. Probably it is Microsoft one.
For the experiment I infected my VM by this patched sens.dll. Yes, I had problem during memory scan when I tried to lauch avast!.
After I booted in Safe mode and delete this dll by hands. Simultaneously I returned correct dll into dllcache.
Windows restore correct DLL in Systerm32 but after loading in Normal mode I have no SENS service at all and a lot of Warning messages in Application part of Event Viewer.
I started this SENS Service by importing valid reg hive from main PC but this can not to resolve all event warnings.
To resolve them I used sfc /scannow.
So I think that it is the case of rather complex (and buggy) Microsoft COM+ processing behaviour.