Author Topic: Trojan problems  (Read 3409 times)

Joey0169

Trojan problems
« on: March 23, 2004, 04:18:11 AM »
I downloaded a free software program that came as an executable file.  Like a dummy, I did not think to scan it before executing the program, and sure enough, it had a trojan:  win32:trojano-025, which attached to C:\WINNT\hytr.exe.  I have moved it to the chest.  What is hytr.exe and can I safely delete it or is it a necessary Windows file?

I also ran the Trend Micro scan and Trend Micro found nothing.  Then I ran McAfee and McAfee also identified it as a trojan.  McAfee also caught another trojan attached to C:\WINNT\system32\fhccall.exe that both avast and Trend Micro missed.  Again, can this file be safely deleted?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Trojan problems
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 09:32:39 AM »
No, hytr.exe really doesn't sound like an important Windows file. In fact, when you moved it to Chest, it's already deleted - so if Windows work, you can see it's not needed. You can simply delete it from the Chest as well.

The fhccall.exe can be deleted as well... you can check this page for detailed description.

Joey0169

Re:Trojan problems
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 04:30:26 PM »
 :D Thanks igor.  That helps tremendously.  Ten thumps up to you for the help, information and the link to kephyr.com.  Kephyr.com appears to be a wonderful resourse.  ;)