Author Topic: Conflict with Eraser?  (Read 11560 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Conflict with Eraser?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 02:08:56 PM »
avast balked for the reasons above ... I only downloaded Eraser a few hours ago - and removed all traces of it slightly less than a few hours ago. 

@Tech

Yes that is the program.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 02:18:45 PM »
@Tech
Yes that is the program.
Seems promising... faster than Eraser, clean Context Menu... sooner I'll be an ex-Eraser user ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »
Ah well! I am rather sad to be down on a product that seems to come from Ireland ... the land of quite a lot of my ancestors.

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 02:45:59 PM »
FileShredder doesn't mention cluster tips and alternate data streams, so if it's just an overwrite it's a bit basic.
Eraser is very usefully in the context menu, so erasing files is easy. Its also good for History and Index.dat that some apps won't do (although I use a couple of free apps. that clear most things).

Been using Eraser for about 5 years with no problems, but I have seen that it didn't play well with some systems.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 03:02:19 PM »
As I recall I just told File Shredder to get itself out of my context menu and I noticed that Eraser put itself in there too without my consent.  The context menu will get longer than the screen itself in no time if we let all these applications have their way.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 03:33:28 PM »
I miss File Shredder on Recycle bin context menu. It is a very useful feature of Eraser  :-\
To edit Context menu you can use Glary Utilities  ;)

FileShredder doesn't mention cluster tips and alternate data streams, so if it's just an overwrite it's a bit basic.
Hmmm... that's the reason of the quick overwriting  :-\ :'(

Rafel

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 03:45:38 PM »
To edit context menu, if you have got XP as OS, i recomend powertoys by Microsoft. Desn't run in Vista, then use Glary utilities.

jwall

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 05:24:01 PM »
@Tech
Yes that is the program.
Seems promising... faster than Eraser, clean Context Menu... sooner I'll be an ex-Eraser user ;)

Just did a free space wipe with file Shredder and no errors from avast!.  IMO, it was only a bit faster, maybe because it doesn't deal with cluster tips or?  I don't know though, I'm not up much on this.
I like it though because it has a smaller footprint and apparently less invasive.

Only negative, not much support and you can't update from the program, it's a little stripped down, but does the job.

I'm not too paranoid about stuff on my computer.  I just notice that after a wipe and defrag, things run a little better.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:31:03 PM by jwall »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 12:23:07 AM »
I've uninstalled Eraser 5.8.7 and seems that a problem with avast 5.0.89 and Windows Explorer was gone...
I'll return to version 5.8.6...

Offline Giraffe

• I'm not a Lama!
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 11:35:42 PM »
I'm on 5.8.4.0 still. Eraser is not a utility to use without making sure that it's OK and some updates do seem to cause trouble, according to the forum.
W7 Pro SP1 32 bit
Intel Core i5 5675C; 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Avast!: 2328; Comodo Firewall

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 12:29:18 AM »
I'm using Eraser 5.8.2, had read about some issues with the more recent versions so stuck with that version, and it has never been a problem.
One thing Eraser does (or claims to do) is remove references to files erased in the MFT. I don't know of any other shredders that do that.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.