Author Topic: 4.8 Pro Control Feature  (Read 4262 times)

lms

4.8 Pro Control Feature
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:28:35 PM »
Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build 2600) Service Pack 2 / Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, MMX, ~2374Mhz / 253424 KB / avast! 4.8.1169 / 080414-1, 04/14/08

Please also refer to the many topics I've read on this forum about performance issues with 4.7.  I may go back to 4.7 if I still have it.

The following is a copy of the email I sent to support@avast.com

==================================================

I was very upset to learn that 4.8 pro will not allow you to unload the program from memory with the task manager nor services.msc. I realize that this may represent additional protection for some users, as the process can't be interferred with by hostile programs. But there must be a way to attain the same level of protection with some flexibility.

I move to alot of files around as I work at home supporting customers software setups. So I'm always loading and installing new software then removing it.

I find that during operations now that the machine will lock up when I try to move large (some >2GB) files, even if I'm moving them on the same drive from one directory to another.

That's why I always unload all virus, adware, protection software when I'm working (after always scanning any files on the way into the system). After that I don't want any interference. Indeed, many programs require that you unload protection software to install.

I'm sad to say that after many years of using your program and recommending it to others, I've had to remove this program from my systems.

I just can't afford to have programs on my system that "I" can't control.

Please reply only if there are any plans in the future to return the program to control of the user.

Thanks, LMS
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 08:30:11 PM by lms »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: 4.8 Pro Control Feature
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:38:17 PM »
I find that during operations now that the machine will lock up when I try to move large (some >2GB) files, even if I'm moving them on the same drive from one directory to another.

That's the first time I hear anything like that.
What kind of freeze is that - can you move your mouse pointer? Does it help if you pause/stop avast! resident protection (before)?

Indeed, many programs require that you unload protection software to install.

Yes, they do - and the requirement is completely bogus. Installation of a new program is exactly the moment when the resident protection should be active. If a malicous program tells you to stop the antivirus to allow it to install - would you?

I just can't afford to have programs on my system that "I" can't control.

avast! settings / Troubleshooting / Disable avast! self-defense module

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:15:52 PM »
All the time I move around files larger than mentioned here (my imaging software backup files) without any slowdown problems of any kind both within my systems running avast and between my systems both running avast. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 12:29:38 AM by alanrf »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:26:32 AM »
Indeed, many programs require that you unload protection software to install.
Never do that... a myth, a security risk, a bad installer, not a good software... Never do that.
The best things in life are free.

lms

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:15:25 AM »
Igor, thanks!

avast! settings / Troubleshooting / Disable avast! self-defense module

Thankyou!

Yeah, well, when the sw cost $25,000 you do what they say.  Anyway, most people don't simultaneously run Rhino, Solidworks, Nastran, Catia, etc.  It typically takes a very long time to load a few of these programs.  Others aren't so bad.

These are highly specialized CAD CAM and engineering programs.  They're not exactly shrink wrap box ware or internet ware if you know what I mean.

These companies are NOT going to distribute any viruses.

As far as the mouse.  It moves, you just can't select a windows without waiting 5 minutes.  Then you can't close the window.  This behavior does not occur all the time.  Sometimes a few days in between.  Recently though, it happened 4 time in two days.  After un-installing AVAST and running the Avast cleanup tool, it does not happen at all.

I typically kill all extraneous services and process when running engineering sw.  I kill (when running):

spooler
All avast processes
All AVG process
java update
Adobe update
adobe quick launch
Distrubuted Link Tracking
Crypto
Help and Support
IPSEC
Logical Disk
Net Logon
Network Connections
NLA
Protected Storage

etc, etc.

I can supply the entire list if somebody wants it.  The point is, if you're trying to run 3d modeling, all of that crap just screws up the stack since the CAD sw just sucks up everything.

The sw runs great on a stripped machine.

Then, you still have to do your other work, so you have to reboot and start all that other crap again.

Its then I have a problem.

But still, the MAIN GRIPE, was that I couldn't unload the program anymore.  Thanks again for answering that problem. I looked at all the options and it didn't register what the self defense option was.  Avast doesn't come with the necessary 2"x4" for dense people. ???

No matter how much money you spend on hw, nothing can beat a "clean" system running 3d.  It just takes a while to learn how to do it.  (And the discipline not to do anything stupid like connect to the intenet when running in said state.)

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:20:26 AM by lms »

lms

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:36:26 AM »
OK, now that I know how to control the program, I'm trying to install again.

I downloaded the newest version from Avast.  I also have 4.7.892

I had previously uninstalled and run the Avast cleanup tool.

Also, after getting the error below, I ran two reg cleaners and HiJackThis and rebooted twice.  I've also tried to manually delete all the keys that reference Avast.  Some in the hive just won't go away however.
Some keys still mention "self defense"....?

I get the following error when I try to install either version:
==========================================================
14.04.2008 19:27:49 general: Started: 14.04.2008, 19:27:49
14.04.2008 19:27:49 general: Running setup_av_pro-491 (1169)
14.04.2008 19:27:49 system: Operating system: WindowsXP ver 5.1, build 2600, sp 2.0 [Service Pack 2]
14.04.2008 19:27:49 system: Memory: 66% load. Phys:84216/253424K free, Page:2135196/2337288K free, Virt:2068968/2097024K free
14.04.2008 19:27:49 system: Computer WinName: CPQ25
14.04.2008 19:27:49 system: Windows Net User: CPQ25\Administrator
14.04.2008 19:27:49 general: Cmdline: /sfx /sfxstorage "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\_av_sfx.tm~a01876"  /srcpath "C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\Desktop"
14.04.2008 19:27:49 general: DldSrc set to sfx
14.04.2008 19:27:49 general: Old version: ffffffff (-1)
14.04.2008 19:27:49 general: Install check: SetupVersion does NOT exist
14.04.2008 19:27:49 general: SGW32P::CheckIfInstalled set m_bAlreadyInstalled to 0
14.04.2008 19:27:49 registry: ERROR!:Cannot access registry HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\avastTestService, error code: 0x00000002
14.04.2008 19:27:49 general: Err:Not enough user rights to continue.

Any help appreciated.

PS, still using 2"x4" that I went out to buy, since I didn't read the update release notes to know what the h was "self defense".  Wouldn't have had this problem... :-[

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 04:42:45 AM »
Perhaps there is a clue here ....

I typically kill all extraneous services and process when running engineering sw.  I kill (when running):

spooler
All avast processes
All AVG process

Are you trying to run two anti-virus products on this system at once?  Stopping the processes does absolutely nothing to the low level drivers loaded by both and that are likely to conflict with each other. 

lms

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 05:38:03 AM »
Exuse me?

What does that have to do with the last question and the installation error?

When trying to install Avast I'm running nothing.  And indeed had stopped the stuff I mentioned above about Adobe, Java, etc.

And to answer you curiosity...(did you notice the "when running part"?)

Under certain conditions, when examining "foreign" files, I run AVG, AVG spyware, Avast, and ProcessGuard.  Then I scan incoming files with the two AVG programs after Avast.  I find that this works just fine and each can discover and/or block things the others can't.   I've spent a lot of years doing it this way and have not had any trouble and have discoverd lots of worms, trojans, spyware, and viruses.  I do this only on my principle home office machine when I'm intentionally exposing it to supspected risks.  I do NOT do this on work machines or normal home machines, nor do I recommend it to others.  I've tried just about every antivirus sw outthere and I like Avast #1 and AVG  Free #2.  About the only one I haven't tested is ESET NOD32.  Don't know anything about it.

I would run BitDefender, but it is a real resource hog all by itself and even though it is probably the most powerful tool out there, is just isn't worth the hassle.  Indeed, running the other three above uses less memory and processor than BD.  At work, on our critical data server for gov contracts, I'm running BD.  But that machine is a server and doesn't have to run any apps and doesn't really even connect to the internet but it does a binary check on every packet comming into the machine and is continually scanning the disks.  Since that server is running raid and dual xeons, it has plenty of power to handle it.  On a workstation, it's just too much.

None of this is relevant to why I can't reinstall the program.  It installs fine on other systems.  Just this one from which I removed it when I couldn't unload it so I could run cad.  That's why I sent the error message....

Other programs install just fine.  I (guessing) beliieve that it is a registry error from the 4.8 install that isn't being removed.

Why can't I install?  Any help?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:44:14 AM by lms »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 05:52:46 AM »
Please make sure that you have a new copy of the avast removal utility (there was an older version) if you have downloaded in the past week or so then the one you have is fine.

Then boot into safe mode and run the avast removal utility in safe mode.

Then you may proceed with a new install.

By the way please remember that most of those responding to you in this forum are fellow avast users just like you.

And you still did not answer my question - are you trying to run both avast and AVG concurrently? Please remember I do not and I have no problems in moving around the large files you seem to find a problem.

lms

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 06:42:26 AM »
Please make sure that you have a new copy of the avast removal utility (there was an older version) if you have downloaded in the past week or so then the one you have is fine.

CHECK

Then boot into safe mode and run the avast removal utility in safe mode.
CHECK

Then you may proceed with a new install.

NO, Didn't work.

I then installed the program in safe mode.  That worked.  That means that your uninstall and cleanup tools need a little more work.

=================================================================
And you still did not answer my question - are you trying to run both avast and AVG concurrently?

I did answer this question, in detail, see above.

Under certain conditions, when examining "foreign" files, I run AVG, AVG spyware, Avast, and ProcessGuard.

Maybe I can reword this.  Under certain conditions, when I'm doing something "risky" I run all programs above at the SAME time with no problems.  They don't step on each other (at the present time).
=================================================================

Please remember I do not and I have no problems in moving around the large files you seem to find a problem.

Its not a problem if I can control the program when I need to.  I am running other processes when that happens.  That's why I have to unload it.  This system is short on memory.

Anyway, thank for the help, it works now.

PS, From review where avast is ranked #13:

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/avast-review.html

AVAST! Reviewer's Comments

This software provides good protection with the on-demand scanner and the resident scanner though these slow down the system while performing file transfers or opening programs. The email protection is adequate for POP3, SMTP and IMAP accounts.

AVAST 4 didn't receive the West Coast Labs Checkmark level 1 or 2 or the VB100%. AVAST wasn't as effective as some of the other products reviewed. For better virus protection refer to some of our higher ranked products

This product is very easy to install and we didn't encounter any problems.

Its why I use Avast for normal situations, and multiple simultaneous programs when I'm taking chances or when I'm cleaning known infected drives and/or systems.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 07:08:42 AM by lms »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 07:07:52 AM »
That means that your uninstall and cleanup tools need a little more work.

To the best of my knowledge you are the lone individual reporting this.

What leads you to believe these are my tools - please read my previous post.

I run all programs above at the SAME time with no problems.  They don't step on each other (at the present time).

So you believe.

I am not an avast employee - so I am quite free to say that I believe that you have an incomplete knowledge of what you are doing.

I am glad that you have resolved the problem without any assistance from this forum.  You are assured that you will not be disturbed by this forum participant any further.