Author Topic: resident protection disable  (Read 6052 times)

jigaretta

resident protection disable
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:23:28 PM »
Hello. I need to disable resident protection the way it will  not start when Windows loading. When i stop resident protection from tray menu, it starts with Windows next time anyway :-[ But i want to turn it on some other time. Is it possible?   

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: resident protection disable
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 11:32:46 PM »
What version of avast do you have, the latest is 4.8.1169, see about avast for the full details ?

What errors are displayed, e.g. why won't it load, what does or doesn't it do ?

Stopping the resident protection from the tray is only good for that session and when you reboot it will start again, so there is something strange going on as what you did won't stop avast on the next boot.

Probably the most important question, why don't you want avast not to start on boot ?

avast is a resident scanner and is designed to start on boot, it isn't an on-demand scanner.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

psw

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:14:31 AM »
I have no problem with disabling resident scaner. In the default configutation dialog box appears with question about disabling temporary or permanent. Selecting permanent is the behaviour you want.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 12:22:26 AM »
Hello. I need to disable resident protection the way it will  not start when Windows loading. When i stop resident protection from tray menu, it starts with Windows next time anyway :-[ But i want to turn it on some other time. Is it possible?   
You need to change the avast services to Manual (instead of Automatic load at startup).
Why do you need to do so? Which other antivirus do you use in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

jigaretta

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:05:57 AM »
You need to change the avast services to Manual (instead of Automatic load at startup).

Where do i need to click to change to Manual ? I can't find  :(
I have no other antivirus, but i need to do it because of very slow widows working when starts with resident scanner. I know it's not right, but there is no other way for me - my computer is old and slow.

I have no problem with disabling resident scaner. In the default configutation dialog box appears with question about disabling temporary or permanent. Selecting permanent is the behaviour you want.

How did you do that? I didn't see any dialog box. What should i do to make it appears?

What version of avast do you have, the latest is 4.8.1169, see about avast for the full details ?

What errors are displayed, e.g. why won't it load, what does or doesn't it do ?

Stopping the resident protection from the tray is only good for that session and when you reboot it will start again, so there is something strange going on as what you did won't stop avast on the next boot.

Probably the most important question, why don't you want avast not to start on boot ?

avast is a resident scanner and is designed to start on boot, it isn't an on-demand scanner.

I have the lates version. No errors, it works normally and resident scanner is ON.

psw

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:20:18 PM »

How did you do that? I didn't see any dialog box. What should i do to make it appears?

Probably the problem is that this dialog has checkbox defining is it should be show in future. And if you place checkmark this dialog disappears and I don't know any legal method to make Avast! showing it.
So we need to use small hack to reenable this dialog.
This checkmark is placed in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ALWIL Software\Avast\4.0\Confirm18
In dialog disabled state this key has REG_BIN value 00 00 00 00 and this key is absent in fresh Avast installation.
So if you:
1. Temporary disable avast self-defence (to provide registry changes)
2. Delete this key by regedit
3. Reenabled avast self-defence

you got this dialog without checkmark during Standard Shield enabling/disabling.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 01:55:05 PM »

I have no other antivirus, but i need to do it because of very slow widows working when starts with resident scanner. I know it's not right, but there is no other way for me - my computer is old and slow.
<snip>

To give us an idea of why it might be slow, did this happen after the update to version 4.8.1169, or is this a first install of avast with 4.8 ?

What are your system specification, Operating system, CPU, RAM, etc. ?

What sensitivity do you have the Standard Shield set to, Normal is the default ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner service)

The two first of them should be Automatic loaded and the two last Manually loaded.
But you can set them to manually start.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »
I suspect that if the comment below

Quote from: jigaretta

So perhaps jigaretta doesn't have XP or if he does the system specification is hampering him, not just avast.

So I guess we will have to wait for his answers to my previous questions.

jigaretta

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 06:51:28 PM »

To give us an idea of why it might be slow, did this happen after the update to version 4.8.1169, or is this a first install of avast with 4.8 ?

What are your system specification, Operating system, CPU, RAM, etc. ?

What sensitivity do you have the Standard Shield set to, Normal is the default ?

It slow since i installed 4.8, then i  updated to 4.8.1169, and it seens to be faster but not enough.
about sistem : windows xp sp2, 192 mb RAM , intel celeron 512
standart shield - normal.

To
Probably the problem is that this dialog has checkbox defining is it should be show in future. And if you place checkmark this dialog disappears and I don't know any legal method to make Avast! showing it.
So we need to use small hack to reenable this dialog.
This checkmark is placed in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ALWIL Software\Avast\4.0\Confirm18
In dialog disabled state this key has REG_BIN value 00 00 00 00 and this key is absent in fresh Avast installation.
So if you:
1. Temporary disable avast self-defence (to provide registry changes)
2. Delete this key by regedit
3. Reenabled avast self-defence

you got this dialog without checkmark during Standard Shield enabling/disabling.

Sorry but there is no Confirm18 in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ALWIL Software\Avast\4.0\

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner service)

The two first of them should be Automatic loaded and the two last Manually loaded.
But you can set them to manually start.

When i try to set the first one "manually" my computer gives box "access denied" :-[

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 07:29:53 PM »
For winXP you could really use more RAM and that is before you start running other programs.

I would advise if you can find memory suitable for that machine to increase to 512MB if you can and you should see a noticeable improvement.

With only 192MB of RAM you should ensure that only essential applications run on boot, security applications and windows. Any others you need should be opened when they are needed and closed when not in use.

There isn't much you can do with the celeron 512 as that is a slot 1 processor I believe and I doubt you would find any more powerful that are available or compatible for your system.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 08:13:39 PM »
With this hardware, maybe you should consider moving toward Linux (like Kubuntu).
Indeed, too few RAM available...