Author Topic: Does avast have a built-in firewall? - Problems playing a certain game  (Read 5621 times)

JayT1806

Ok - Ive tried playing this game allegiance - which is a multiplayer game which requires to join a server.

Well first I tried stopping all the providers - thats doesnt work. I uninstalled Avast and I was able to connect so its not a windows firewall issue since I had that on with avast uninstalled and I connected to the game servers just fine.

So my question is, how do I disable the avast firewall or just make a exception for this game allegiance? I sorta don't want to run my ocmputer with no anti virus software just for a game you know but I do however like this game.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
avast does not have a built-in firewall. Just an antivirus and antispyware.
Which firewall do you use? Is ashWebSv.exe allowed to connect?
If you really knows what you're doing making an exception for this game, use the Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

JayT1806

Does not work - Disabling avast programs still prevents me from joining a server..

The only firewarll that I have on is windows firewall and I have allegiance in the exception list. Allegiance works when I don't have avast installed... there has to be something blocking me in the avast program from joining a server...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
What antivirus software have you had on your system before avast? 

How did you remove that antivirus software?

JayT1806

None - Ive only used Avast.

I fixed the problem - I uninstalled Network shield.. and now I can connect to the servers. If theres a way to have network shield on and be able to connect severs - im all ears.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Well, really strange. NetShield should be blocking the access to a server...
Do you have more technical info about this connection, I mean, the server address, port being used to connection... ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Network Shield uses a network transport layer driver - it is most likely that the poster has some other function installed on the system also using a transport layer driver and the two are not playing nicely together.  Taking either of them out would (most likely) allow the other to continue without problem.   

There have been other cases of this type of conflict - for example SysInternals' TDIMon (but that was more pronounced - BSOD).