Author Topic: Before I Buy (PRO) - Some Questions  (Read 3662 times)

loftrat

Before I Buy (PRO) - Some Questions
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:49:28 AM »
Hi :)

Before I buy a number of licences for the Pro version of Avast I need to check a couple of things.

1.  I'm going to be working with some files and applications that AV software typically reports as 'malicious'.  I know the risks involved in operating these files and am comfortable that I can manage that risk appropriately.  Is there a way within Avast Pro that I can specify certain folders/files that it should ignore (not scan, not clean, not move, not block)?

2.  I also plan to work with VMWare Workstation and run some files/tools within virtual machines. 

a)  Will Avast Pro affect the running of these machines in any way? 
b)  Does Avast protect virtual machines or will I need to install additional protection? 
c)  If I need additional protection does the Avast Pro licence allow me to install Avast Pro within multiple virtual machines on the same physical machine?
d) If I have files within the virtual machine that the Avast Pro installation of the 'host' machine would consider malicious will it attempt to change/affect them or will it ignore them?

I know there's a lot of questions there, but I'm potentially looking at multiple licences so I want to make sure this is right.

Thanks for the help :D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Before I Buy (PRO) - Some Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 09:23:24 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the avast forums

1.  I'm going to be working with some files and applications that AV software typically reports as 'malicious'.  I know the risks involved in operating these files and am comfortable that I can manage that risk appropriately.  Is there a way within Avast Pro that I can specify certain folders/files that it should ignore (not scan, not clean, not move, not block)?

Yes.

2.  I also plan to work with VMWare Workstation and run some files/tools within virtual machines. 

a)  Will Avast Pro affect the running of these machines in any way? 

It should not. Many people are running VMWare (or Virtual PC) together with avast without any problems. This includes our support staff. :)

b)  Does Avast protect virtual machines or will I need to install additional protection? 

It cannot protect the virtual machine. If you need a protection of the virtual machine, avast needs to be installed in the virtual machine as well. BTW this applies to all AV applications.

c)  If I need additional protection does the Avast Pro licence allow me to install Avast Pro within multiple virtual machines on the same physical machine?

I'm afraid not. Sorry.
You can use the Professional Family Pack though.

d) If I have files within the virtual machine that the Avast Pro installation of the 'host' machine would consider malicious will it attempt to change/affect them or will it ignore them?

The two worlds (host and VM) are completely separate. This means that avast on the host machine cannot see what's inside the VM, and vice versa. Therefore, there's nothing special you need to do have the programs excluded.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

loftrat

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:54:34 PM »
Those are exactly the answers that I needed, thanks very much for your help :)

psw

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:05:28 AM »
Probably it is worth to exclude from scan VMWare files (*.vm*) or entire folder where VM reside. Otherwise a) scan will take too much time b) scan can find something in these files.

loftrat

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:16:33 PM »
Yep, we're definitely going to have to do this.

Avast is picking up files within the virtual memory files that VMWare is creating.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:42:50 PM »
Avast is picking up files within the virtual memory files that VMWare is creating.
Can you post the name of the virus found?
Maybe they could correct the virus signature for this particular (false) detection.
The best things in life are free.

loftrat

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 05:19:46 PM »
Not sure now.

I think it was reporting Adware.  If it happens again tomorrow I'll try to catch it and post back here.