Author Topic: Avast sucking up CPU  (Read 5397 times)

JamesD31

Avast sucking up CPU
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »
Hi,

First off, I have a problem - virus problem. Avast has been good so far; no corrupted files, etc. Though, this is not the problem, but every time I power off than power back on, more viruses appear; anyone got a fix to this? I just backed up all my main files to my flash drives, so as a last resort I guess I will have to whip my computer. Anyways, back to the problem, when I try to run Avast to check my /WINDOWS/ files it kills my CPU like crazy! I mean, I have it jumping up to 100% most the time, and it's mostly just Avast.

So any help on these issues?

EDIT: PS also anyone know a way, or what approach, I should have against these virus(es)? Like, I know they harvested themselves in some of my /WINDOWS/ and /WINDOWS/System32/ folders and such, not to sure which ones, I deleted and got rid of one, and my CPU is running fine now that I don't have Avast! scanning.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:49:00 PM by JamesD31 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast sucking up CPU
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:33:27 PM »
Can you say what is the infected file name, where was it found (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx)?
What avast! version and virus database are you using? (see About dialog of avast!)

I suggest:

1. Disable System Restore and reenable it after step 3.
2. Clean your temporary files.
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on.
4. Use SUPERantispyware and/or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

JamesD31

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:00:34 PM »
Not to sure about where the virus(es) are located. Like I said, after every reboot more appear - or have appeared. I remember one, after the recent reboot, and it had a folder called K***** under the system32 folder. I deleted the folder, and there was nothing in it because Avast! deleted it already.

I am using Avast! v4.8 Home Edition and for the VPS, not to sure but it says File Version: 080414-1.

Also, for the steps you posted, is that for the removal/scanning of the viruses?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:24:30 AM »
Is that for the removal/scanning of the viruses?
Most certainly... specially steps 1 to 6.

JamesD31

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 12:29:38 AM »
Ok,

Well thanks, I am on my other computer right  now as I wait for the step 3 to complete. God, I feel stupid for the mistake I had made to cause these problems. I mean, I even scanned the .exe file before I "ran" the file. Though, I believe once ran, Avast! caught all, if not most, of the viruses that were released. I am just wondering, how and why there were so many dumb viruses in one .exe. Also, this is the confusing part, I don't even know where they are hidding and what affects they are having on my computer. They were all trojans, though, as far as I know, nothing is harming my computer and no files so far have been infected.

JamesD31

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 12:56:05 AM »
OK,

Scan done, and when I logged in this came up - two more viruses detected: 1) C:\WINDOWS\KB59834\dehcrytq.exe (that was the folder where i have seen other viruses also, I deleted it before too)   2) C:\WINDOWS\mlvwinyz.exe (Win32:Renos-GM)

EDIT: Just got done scanning with Spyware Terminator - So far no viruses or anything found = / This is a tricky one in my opinion...

EDIT2: OK, here is that log you wanted. Not to sure if you wanted it in a .txt or what, so I just did what the program offered =D It's attached below.

EDIT3: Yeah, with everything that was given in the steps, it still comes up - it seems that every reboot gives off 2 viruses, usually called the same or close too it, and placed in two files one in C:\WINDOWS\KB59834\ folder and one in the root C:\WINDOWS\ folder. Any solution? or idea where these viruses are originating from?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:53:37 AM by JamesD31 »

JamesD31

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:22:08 PM »
DISCOVERY!!!

I was like, hmm, since these viruses are poping up and adding new stuff every reboot, and it loads like any other application, than what if - just what if - they are added to the startup.

So, I checked. And I guess I am right! There are a bunch of different things under there that I have never seen before in my life! So, I am right now doing some research and finding out what is what and what I have to kill!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »
Yeah, with everything that was given in the steps, it still comes up - it seems that every reboot gives off 2 viruses, usually called the same or close too it, and placed in two files one in C:\WINDOWS\KB59834\ folder and one in the root C:\WINDOWS\ folder. Any solution? or idea where these viruses are originating from?
Run steps 1 and 3 again.

JamesD31

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 02:32:22 AM »
Found it! It was hiding in the registry (i used symantec to and just searched how to remove a normal trojan horse) So, yep, no more virus on my computer!

Though, do you have a reason why Avast! was using 100% of my CPU when I went to run a scan?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 03:08:11 AM »
On the CPU issue ...

Which version of avast are you currently on?  I suspect it is 4.8.1169.

In another thread I posted some comparisons of scan CPU use in 4.7, 4.8.1169 and the new beta release 4.8.1178.  You can see it here.

There were some issues related to scanning in the 4.8.1169 release and these have been fixed in the new beta release and it seems a bit less CPU intensive than the original 4.8 release.

JamesD31

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »
Avast! version is 4.8.1169 and so yeah I might have to upgrade to the beta version but yeah.

rsn100

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 01:01:56 AM »
Okay, this is my best effort (and my first post,ever in my life), but i updated my AV version to 4.8blahblah and my CPU usage would sometimes go to 100% and freeze up (on trusted sites).   I would stop Avast AV and restarted it quickly and my computer would go back to running perfect for a while, then same thing all over again.  THEN, I deleted Avast and started over with a fresh download all over again and then.  Get this, when I restarted again, GUESS WHAT, no internet access at all.....................!  I madder than .... !   Now I have busted my non-savy computer *&^ for hours and guess WHAT I FOUND!!!!!, my ethernet card was DISABLED... I fix that...reboot and the same old thing since I updated to 4.8blahblah,  run a while, freeze up ... stop/restart Avast AV and I run like a spotted ape until Avast says that it is time to go back to 100% CPU usage and freeze up allover again and have to do the stop/start Avast again.  I have  Windows 2000 SP4.  Any input would be great....  my Avast has been perfect for a long time until now..   Thanks, for anybody that is listening