Author Topic: Avast blocks a file that is not a virus, What can i do?  (Read 5104 times)

excalibur

Avast blocks a file that is not a virus, What can i do?
« on: April 16, 2008, 08:17:11 AM »
Hi, i'm new around here i really NEED your help, i have the avast 4.8 home edition installed on my pc, everything was fine until today, with the new VPS avast detect me a file that I AM SURE that is not a virus, i use this file to control the pc's in my network, the file is in this location C:\WINDOWS\system32 and it's name is "esclavo.exe" i really don't know what is happening, i put the file name in the exceptions but it don't work in the access protection, my english is not so good, so if you can tellme how to do to make the avast let the archive pass i really appreciate it, the archive is an .exe and it runs at the start of the pc, like avast

few words:
i need you to tell me how to add this file like exception in the access protection of the avast,

Thnks, hope answers :)

onlysomeone

Re: Avast blocks a file that is not a virus, What can i do?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 08:22:20 AM »
are you sure that esclavo.exe ist save?

i would recomend checking it at http://www.virustotal.com

Quote from: DavidR
If it is indeed a false positive, add it to the exclusions lists:
Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add and
Program Settings, Exclusions

yours onlysomeone
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 08:24:10 AM by onlysomeone »

excalibur

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 05:20:58 PM »
yeah, i'm sure that isn't a virus, i've already did what you say, but the problem is that this only affects to the virus scan, not the real time protection, that's what i need, the file is already in the exclusions lists but it still detecting it like a virus, i don't know what to do  :'( :'(

excalibur

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:02:54 PM »
Please, i really need help, if there's is no way to do it al least tell me, the mods or someone i just need the avast ignore that file but i don't know how to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:12:44 PM »
Hi excalibur,

Restore it to its original location, periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the Standard Shield and Program Settings, exclusions.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

excalibur

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 11:23:03 PM »
Hi excalibur,

Restore it to its original location, periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the Standard Shield and Program Settings, exclusions.

polonus

Thnxs, i'll try it now :D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 11:38:22 PM »
Hi excalibur,

I think you are right, this file is OK,
Path found:     c:\ windows\ system32\ esclavo.exe
Description:    esclavo.exe

Info and security rating about esclavo . exe process

Filetype : executable
     An executable file is a program that can be executed in your windows environment.
   Possible error for this file:
esclavo.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows

MD5 hash : 2E293115D2B04F4B024EAF57D43569DF
     A MD5 hash is a unique fingerprint of a file.
Different files/versions can have the same filename in windows. The MD5 hash verifies that the legitimate file is not altered or "fake".
You can verify and calculate the MD5 hash of this file and check in the online database if the files are "valid"

This file is not digitally signed
     This means that the publisher of this software did not sign the file esclavo.exe with a certificate from a trusted windows source.
Many publishers (even Microsoft) do not sign all their files, so this does not indicate that the file is suspect,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

excalibur

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:52:16 PM »
Hi excalibur,

I think you are right, this file is OK,
Path found:     c:\ windows\ system32\ esclavo.exe
Description:    esclavo.exe

Info and security rating about esclavo . exe process

Filetype : executable
     An executable file is a program that can be executed in your windows environment.
   Possible error for this file:
esclavo.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows

MD5 hash : 2E293115D2B04F4B024EAF57D43569DF
     A MD5 hash is a unique fingerprint of a file.
Different files/versions can have the same filename in windows. The MD5 hash verifies that the legitimate file is not altered or "fake".
You can verify and calculate the MD5 hash of this file and check in the online database if the files are "valid"

This file is not digitally signed
     This means that the publisher of this software did not sign the file esclavo.exe with a certificate from a trusted windows source.
Many publishers (even Microsoft) do not sign all their files, so this does not indicate that the file is suspect,

polonus

how can i do that, if it has the same md5 hash than a virus the avast will keep blocking it, so what can i do because the other way you told me didn't worked, i'm trying to solve it by another way right now, i think it will work, thnx for the interest :D, i'll keep in touch 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 01:15:47 AM »
It is to test the md5 matches the original file and hasn't been changed, if the two md5 numbers are different then yours would have been altered.

Polonus has given you the md5 to compare against.

It was also suggested you upload the file to virustotal to confirm or deny the detection, that process also produces the md5 for the file you uploaded. So if you upload the file and avast is the only scanner to detect it and the md5 of the file you uploaded matches that given by polonus then it is almost certainly a false positive detection. But you have to confirm, you can't just assume it is OK.

What other way did you try there are two locations for exclusions ?
The Program Settings, Exclusions deals with on-demand scans, so the Standard Shield being an on-access scanner would still detect it you need to apply it to the standard shield as previously mentioned.

So which exclusion list did you add it to ?
Exactly what was the text you added to it to exclude the file, e.g. C:\WINDOWS\system32\esclavo.exe ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security