Author Topic: Auto Update  (Read 8858 times)

Certek

Auto Update
« on: May 20, 2003, 01:36:29 PM »
Would like some details on the auto update sequence.  Yesterday I knew an update was available and when I got home there was no update made even though the computer was on and was being used yesterday.  I have a direct connection as well.  Therefore how does this work?  I was able to do the manual update when I got home and all was well.  Any info is appreciated.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Auto Update
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 05:57:13 PM »
The auto-update takes place every 4 hours by default. Is there a chance that it was less then 4 hours before you got home?

Also, it may be interesting to look into the update log. See e.g. <avast4>\setup\setup.log

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Certek

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 09:51:15 PM »
Vik,
Thanks for the quick reply.  I don't know if 4-hours passed or not.  What time was the update ready yesterday?  

I will check the log tonight as well.  I don't know what I am looking for but I'll take a peak at it to determine what took place.  

Is there a .ini file I have to change in order for the auto update feature to take place?  Also, is the same server used for the manual and auto update?  I want to make sure my fire wall is setup correctly for them both.  I'll check the fire wall log as well.

RedhatGAV

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 11:22:15 PM »
Does the autoupdate auto run on bootup ? Another system I know of has Dial-up, and i have to prompt the iavs to update, even though it is set to auto update. So this is normal?

techie101

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 08:01:53 PM »
Certek,

I noticed that you mentioned a Firewall.  Which one do you use?
I had a similar problem using Sygate5.0 and Avast4.  If you use a Rule based firewall, the permissions (rules) must be set properly or Avast 4 will be blocked.  An Application firewall such as Zone Alarm works just fine with Avast 4.
Your firewall should not block ICMP type 8 traffic, or TCP traffic on port 80.  Usually, your firewall should list 3 outgoing files for Avast in the traffic log (or similar in your fw):
www.avast.com
www.asw.cz
www.iavs.net
Your firewall must allow these destination hosts.

Try shutting down your FW for awhile to see if Avast 4 updates to verify that the FW is the culprit here not Avast 4 itself.

Also, go into your Settings,  Update section.  The Database should have the automatic box checked and under Program, the ask box is checked by default.

Good luck.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 09:18:13 PM »
Usually, your firewall should list 3 outgoing files for Avast in the traffic log
Actually, there are four servers now - the missing one in your list is www.iavs.cz (you can check the list in the servers.def file). Please note that this list can be extended any time in the future  ;)

RedhatGAV

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 10:12:52 PM »
I run Kerio on all the systems I use, and this one is the only one complaining :)

techie101

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2003, 03:47:41 AM »
 ;D
Red,

Firstly, Pavel is correct.  There are now 4 servers.  I overlooked www.iavs.cz.
Anyway, I believe that the auto-update cycles ever 4 hours.
Kerio is a good firewall, but Rule based which can cause problems if the permissions are not set exact.
Check your traffice log to ascertain if Kerio is blocking any traffic to the destination hosts (4 servers).
If so, set rules to allow ANY type traffic incoming and outgoing to those specific destinations.

Hope this helps.

Certek

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 01:05:28 PM »
Thanks for all the advise.  I do in fact use Kerio and have been looking at my log to see if I am having any problems.  I have Kerio set to log any problems it runs into.  I am awaiting a new update to see if I made the right changes.  Thanks again.

Certek

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 01:19:40 PM »
Just to close this out it was in fact my Kerio rule set that caused the problem.  Took care of it and update came in yesterday without a hitch.