Author Topic: Web Browsers Blocked with avast! 4.8  (Read 49151 times)

dypsis

Web Browsers Blocked with avast! 4.8
« on: April 17, 2008, 02:40:48 AM »
Since upgrading to avast! 4.8, I have been having intermittent browsing problems on my Vista 64 computer.

When this problem occurs, both Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox cannot access the internet until I disable "Web Shield" and "Script Blocking". If I only disable "Web Shield", then Firefox can access the internet, but not Internet Explorer. So to get both browsers working, I need to disable both "Web Shield" and "Script Blocking".

I never had this problem with 4.7. This only started happening since upgrading to 4.8.

I am not running any third party firewall or any anti-spyware. I only have Windows Firewall enabled. But I even tried disabling Windows Firewall, but it did not fix the problem.

Is there a fix coming for this or do you have any better workarounds than what I have already done?

Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Web Browsers Blocked with avast! 4.8
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 04:25:20 AM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version. Boot.
6. Then, update to the latest beta: download the updater (http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe) and run it or go here for more information.
7. Boot.
8. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

dypsis

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »
Thanks for the valuable info Tech.

I done as you said, but deviated to the page you linked to and installed v4.8.1178 Pre-release instead of installing the release version and running avast! Update.

So far, so good. I will report back if I have any further problems. This problem was intermittent, but increased in regularity recently.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 02:15:52 PM »
Glad that the beta installation (apparently) solves your problem.
Welcome to avast forums.

ann123mar

HELP! No internet connection
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 05:51:29 PM »
OK.... I have read all the posts on the "page cannot display problem" with IE... I have Vista... downloaded latest Avast 4.8--- then could not connect internet  even tho I am "connected".. have a wireless router-- tried to uninstall Avast- prob went away at first-- now its happening again!!! Just read I need to DOWNLOAD an UNINSTALL Avast in order to UNINSTALL it completely???? Is that the problem? How one earth do I download when I can not connect to the internet????!!!!! Tried going inot my computer files one by one deleting all Alwil/Avast files... is there anything else I can do I am going nuts! lease help I am a total Non techie and ust spent 350 bucks with Geeksquad re: some other problem pls pls help

ann123mar

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 06:48:18 PM »
How do you disable Web and Script Blocking? Where do you go to do this? pls someone help I am desparate

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 07:22:57 PM »
How do you disable Web and Script Blocking? Where do you go to do this? pls someone help I am desparate
Left click the 'a' blue icon.
Click 'details' button to expand.
Choose the providers at left and stop them in the proper button. You must answer 'yes' to persist the changes. I'll suggest you let the Standard Shield at 'High' sensitivity level in this environment.

dypsis

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 10:24:14 PM »
Glad that the beta installation (apparently) solves your problem.
Welcome to avast forums.
Thanks. I tested it this morning with 2 reboots, and it is still OK. So it seems that it is fixed.

I love this AV, but I don't like the splash screens with the individual modules, so I turn them off. I also turn the memory scan off as it takes too long to open.

May I suggest an Import/Export Settings Wizard in future releases to hasten new installations.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 10:26:58 PM by dypsis »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 03:42:30 AM »
May I suggest an Import/Export Settings Wizard in future releases to hasten new installations.
It's present on Professional version (unattended installation).

dypsis

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 03:55:59 AM »
It's present on Professional version (unattended installation).
OK. Thanks. I will check it out.

dypsis

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »
I booted the computer up this afternoon, and the problem is back.  :'(

I have had to disable "Web Shield" and "Script Blocking" again.  :(

Also. Where do you find Unattended Installation to import/export settings?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 09:10:49 AM by dypsis »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 09:29:32 AM »
What is "the problem" ... what exactly happens when you try to connect to a website from a browser?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 09:33:41 AM »
Are you using any software with your browser ... for example an advertising blocker or a web "accelerator" or any VPN software?

dypsis

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 09:42:54 AM »
No. No blockers, no third party firewalls, no anti-spyware. Just a very clean installation of Vista 64.

If I try an open a browser, my homepage (Google) just times out in both IE7 and Firefox. IE7 will hang if I try and close it while it is still trying to connect.

As soon as I disable "Web Shield" and "Script Blocking", everything is fine again.

As already stated, I ran v4.7 with no problems at all.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 09:50:36 AM »
Please understand I am not saying that your actions have caused this and I am not suggesting that all was not well with avast 4.7. 

I am just searching for clues as to what has happened now that you have installed 4.8.