Author Topic: hundreds of Event Viewer Antivirus entries  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Snagglegrain

hundreds of Event Viewer Antivirus entries
« on: April 22, 2008, 06:06:43 PM »
Is it normal for Event Viewer to be logging hundreds and hundreds of avast! entries (see screenshot) for things like this?

"Event Type:   Information
Event Source:   avast!
Event Category:   Client
Event ID:   90
Date:      4/21/2008
Time:      10:00:04 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   blank
Description:
Info from aswChestC: chestGetValue."

also "Info from aswChestC: chestEnumElements"
and "Info from aswChestC: chestGetHandle"
and "Info from aswChestS: chestNextFileLoc"
and "Info from aswChestS: chestInit"

I have attached a screenshot of the "infected" Chest files (although 2 say "no virus" and the other is a false positve, I think, for a Crucial Technology memory scan tool).  I have left the items in Chest in case anyone thinks they are responsible for the hundreds of Event Viewer entries.

Note that there are 4,234 Event Viewer entries.  They date back almost 4 months ago.  That's roughly 1000 per month or 30+ per day.  The per day figure is actually higher (closer to 40+) because there was a 10 day period where the pc was not in use.

Any insights into this situation are appreciated!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 06:12:28 PM by Snagglegrain »

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
Re: hundreds of Event Viewer Antivirus entries
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 06:29:12 PM »
You should change the logging level (on page Logging in avast settings). I think the default is 'Notice'.

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 06:45:52 PM »
My Logging setting is at Info.  I can change it, of course, to whatever.  But I was trying to determine if these entries are normal?  Are these constant Event Viewer entries standard or are they indicative of something else going on?  Thank you!

Note: There are over 160 entries already for today. 4/22/2008.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 06:50:39 PM by Snagglegrain »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »
The default is Notice, and that really is enough any lower and the amount of trivial entries will go up. So the entries are normal for your logging level, as is indicated by a) the info icon and b) the Information title in the windows event viewer event entries in your image. If you looked in the avast log viewer, Info section you would see the same entries.

Unfortunately, the image example you gave 'virus detection' would be classed as a Warning and recorded with the default Notice level.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security