Author Topic: Newbie here again - skin questions??  (Read 8171 times)

writerguy

Newbie here again - skin questions??
« on: March 25, 2004, 12:56:39 AM »
Hi,

You forum people have been a great help, so here I am with another question.  ;D

How do I install one of the skins available for download? When I click on the download link, it simply opens another browser screen and displays a screen full of odd symbols. If I right-click on the download link and use the "Save link as" or "Save target as" or whatever that command -- the file I download is a text file. Even if I download it into avasts' "Skin" folder, it never shows up as a skin when I try to change to a different skin within avast.

Anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?? Thanks!

Gary Speer

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Newbie here again - skin questions??
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 02:18:47 AM »
Strange!? The download links seem to be hosted at

http://download?.avast.com//files/skins/ (where ? is a number)
http://www.iavs.net/files/skins/
http://files.avast.com/files/skins/

To open a new browser and display odd things the links must be other than the *.aswcs files above. Seems to be an issue of your browser configurations...

Do you use any download manager?
The best things in life are free.

writerguy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 02:42:42 AM »
Strange!? The download links seem to be hosted at

http://download?.avast.com//files/skins/ (where ? is a number)
http://www.iavs.net/files/skins/
http://files.avast.com/files/skins/

To open a new browser and display odd things the links must be other than the *.aswcs files above. Seems to be an issue of your browser configurations...

Do you use any download manager?

Nope. I don't use a download manager. When I tried downloading a skin in IE and with Avant (a tabbed IE-based browser), I got the behavior I told you of above.

When I downloaded the skin using MozillaFoxfire, it seemed to download properly -- but the skin doesn't show up at all in my list of skins when I start avast and try to change the skin?? What do I need to do to install the skin? Won't downloading it into the data/skins folder do the trick??

Gary Speer

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 02:45:52 AM »
It seemed to download properly -- but the skin doesn't show up at all in my list of skins when I start avast and try to change the skin?? What do I need to do to install the skin? Won't downloading it into the data/skins folder do the trick?? Gary Speer

No, you have to double-click (or execute) the *.aswcs files.
They don't have to be at the skin folder, they could be anywhere in your system but you have to run them... The downloaded file will 'install' the skin.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 02:48:04 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 02:49:04 AM »
Now you've got me confused -- when I went to add a couple of the new ones, they downloaded right into the proper folder rather than the default download folder, and were immediately available for selection.  Didn't even have to specify a folder.

Admittedly I did this from the link in the interface (in the Select Skin tab), not by browsing, so that might make a difference.  Try it that way and see what happens.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

writerguy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 02:50:39 AM »
Ah HAH! Well, that would explain my problem then, eh?  ;D

Thanks. I went back to the downloaded file, double-clicked, and it installed just fine.

I appreciate the help and patience you and all the folks here at these forums have with us newbies. Good people!

Gary Speer

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 02:55:17 AM »
Well, why don't you try... gulph... oups... problem has already been solved...

Writerguy -=> Welcome to the best forum ever !

I hope you like all those skins !

writerguy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 03:00:11 AM »
Well, why don't you try... gulph... oups... problem has already been solved...

Writerguy -=> Welcome to the best forum ever !

I hope you like all those skins !

LOL! Thanks for the welcome.

I don't know whether I like ALL of the skins, but I do enjoy several of them and like one or two a lot.

I am always amazed a people who can craft something as practical as a skin for any app -- combining true artistic skills with graphics training and talent. Hooray for everyone who does 'em, I say! ;D

(At my age, BTW, most of what goes on with computers, the Internet, high-technology, cell phones, etc., etc., is a whole lot like "magic" to me.)

Gary Speer (born so long ago that I remember my first glimpse of a television.)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 03:07:35 AM »
Well, thanks for the compliments, but I wouldn't call it "talent". It's just work, work and work... also, there must be huge dose of love you should put into your work, like I do when I design skins...

Talent is just a word, it is not even a state of mind... I don't think I worth more than other people, and "talent" reminds me like I should feel better than the rest of humans... I don't wanna feel better than the others. I am made of flesh, bones and blood, just like all of you guys. It's just, I love what I do and I love it so much...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 03:08:30 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

bbfi

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 03:16:47 AM »
Sasha,

Talent - A person who possesses unusual innate ability in some field or activity.

Don't be so modest, Sasha. You definitely have an artistic and computer "talent" or "ability". I have computer ability, but no way could I do the art work you do. I have tried and tried, but I don't have that "talent". I could work, work, work for as long as I live and my art work would look like some thing the dog dragged home. :o

writerguy

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 03:20:29 AM »
Yup, talent's really something, isn't it? But I suspect what Sasha's getting at is this: talent without a lot of just plain hard work and some serious self-discipline won't get very far in anything, right?

Yet you indeed have great "gifts" and talents if you can do something artistic and graphic. I love words. I do some writing and editing -- yet I could never do something like design skins, paint pictures, sculpt, etc.

Good for you all and may WE all use the gifts/talents we have.

Gary Speer