Author Topic: Boottime Scans-When?/Why?/How long?  (Read 1979 times)

bobbyboy

Boottime Scans-When?/Why?/How long?
« on: April 19, 2008, 01:37:43 AM »
When should you run them? Why is it important and different from a quick scan,standard scan or thorough scan?How long should it take compared to the 3 other scans?My quick scan takes 30 minutes and my thorough scan takes 6 hours to scan 200 gbs on my xp with sp2.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Boottime Scans-When?/Why?/How long?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:22:54 AM »
When you have detected an infection that can't be dealt with in the normal windows mode, like file in use or is protected in some way. Or you suspect a problem or after a detection.

The difference is simple the scan is done before windows starts, so there should be no isue with file in use or protected, etc.

I can't say how long it would take but it would be considerably less than a thorough scan with archives, it may even be quicker than the quick scan but systems are different and te best way to check is test it. Though after you installed avast it is normal to ask if the user wants to do a boot-time scan. If you accepted that offer then that should be a reasonable idea of the duration.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security