Author Topic: Computer Freeze up  (Read 3578 times)

marikudo

Computer Freeze up
« on: March 23, 2004, 09:17:52 PM »
Hello.  I am new to this forum and I need help.  I am using an older operating system, Windows98 version6X.  I suspected  that my computer was infected so, I took the opportunity to download this free Avast4 Home edition.  Everything was perfect up to the registration part with my user key.

My problem was that when I activated Avast4, it started to scan and found that my computer memory was infected, so I choose the default recommendation of "totally getting rid of the virus from memory" which was named the Win32Sobig B(wrm).

I can see the activities - the scanning of files with the ExE extension.  But here is the problem:  When it reached the "SHARED MEMORY" the activites seem terminated, but the screen froze up, the mouse pointer disappeared and nothing can be done.  The only thing I can do was manually shut down the computer.  I do not know anything about computers except turn it on and click the mouse.  What is the problem/s?  Please help.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Computer Freeze up
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 09:26:18 PM »
Boot in safe mode. (press the F8 key right after the bios status screen and before windows starts to load)

Run a full system scan from there.

Since the virus was found in the memory. I suggest you install Avast again in safe mode since it may have become infected while installing in normal mde.

See if that solves your little problem.

marikudo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 08:10:23 AM »
Boot in safe mode. (press the F8 key right after the bios status screen and before windows starts to load)

Run a full system scan from there.

Since the virus was found in the memory. I suggest you install Avast again in safe mode since it may have become infected while installing in normal mde.

See if that solves your little problem.

Thanks Artras for replying but as you know, I am totally ignorant about computers, so, if you may spare me your indulgence, I would like you to please "walk" me on what to do on the following:

What do you mean "Run a full system scan from there?"

How do I do that?  Do I activate the Avast anti virus to scan the system or do I use the system tool "Scan disk " thing?  These are all too complicated for my simple mind to understand.  Please stay with me.  Thanks again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 02:04:55 PM »
After booting in safe mode as I explaind in m previous message, run avast and scan your system. Let's see what that brings you.