Author Topic: Very high internet traffic  (Read 2171 times)

SMG

Very high internet traffic
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:50:12 PM »
Is it normal for Avast Home to have a very high internet traffic?
As attachment a few screenshots of Netlimiter logs that show that Avast downloads from 1 April -> 20 April 660MB. Isn't that much?
And in just one day 110MB (48MB in 1 hour)???

I find it kind of weird for an just an antivirus. I installed Avast home on an other computer and that was the same problem.
Updating is no problem, don't see errors. But here in Belgium we only have 12GB of allowed traffic/month. Sad to waste 10% of it on an antivirus.

Kind regards

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Very high internet traffic
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »
When you are using avast and the Webshield then every one of the http Internet accesses are really made by the Webshield (ashWebSv.exe) instead of by your browser or email client (when it is rendering html messages).

These accesses are not being made by avast for itself they are all the accesses you are making and that would show up as being made by your browser or email client if you had the Webshield turned off.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 12:58:25 AM »
So, to sum up - avast! doesn't cause any additional traffic, it's just that the traffic Netlimiter shows for ashWebSv.exe is actually the traffic of other processes. If avast! were not there, the total traffic would stay the same, only distributed amongst other applications in the table.

SMG

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Thank you for this clear answer. I checked it out and you're right. Firefox had practically no internet traffic ;)