Author Topic: Trojan found on boot time scan but not in normal scan.  (Read 2803 times)

frankieplus

Trojan found on boot time scan but not in normal scan.
« on: April 22, 2008, 12:19:54 PM »
I did a boot time scan and Avast found the adware-gen and trojan-gen trojans but couldn't move them to the chest, Avast said something about 'Move: Error ####' and some number. So I assumed the trojans weren't moved.

After finishing, I did a non boot time scan, just a normal scan to scan all drives and it didn't find anything.

Why were the trojans found in the boot time scan and not in the non-boot time scan?

-Frankie

rassel

Re: Trojan found on boot time scan but not in normal scan.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:41:44 PM »
Is the trojan on your avast chest?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 01:47:33 PM »
Why were the trojans found in the boot time scan and not in the non-boot time scan?
Which sensitivity did you use while scanning into Windows? Thorough, Quick, Standard?
Sometimes malware hidden themselves and the boot time scanning is the way to discover them...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 02:44:02 PM »
I did a boot time scan and Avast found the adware-gen and trojan-gen trojans but couldn't move them to the chest, Avast said something about 'Move: Error ####' and some number. So I assumed the trojans weren't moved.

After finishing, I did a non boot time scan, just a normal scan to scan all drives and it didn't find anything.

What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the aswboot.txt in the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report folder that contains information on the boot scan. Check that location given and see if they are gone, you may not see anything for the reason given below.

Hopefully that aswboot.txt file will also contain info on why they couldn't be moved, like the error text, if so post that also.

Files might be hidden/protected during normal windows scanning, a scan before windows boot can often find files that would otherwise be hidden/protected in some way.

So if they are/were hidden we need to see if we can find what was hiding them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security