Author Topic: AshDisp high CPU usage and doesn't show up on Screen  (Read 4357 times)

rindi

AshDisp high CPU usage and doesn't show up on Screen
« on: April 22, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »
Hello,

Specs: XP Pro SP2 German, Avast! Home (4.8), Integrated Windows Firewall.

When trying to start Avast! to enter the registration code, nothing displays on the screen. Process Explorer shows AshDisp as using plenty of CPU power. Avast! itself is running in the taskbar. If I try to enter the registration key via "Taskbar", "About Avast!", "License Key", I get an error message that the License key isn't valid, although I just got the E-Mail with it!

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks.

rassel

Re: AshDisp high CPU usage and doesn't show up on Screen
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:49:08 PM »
If I try to enter the registration key via "Taskbar", "About Avast!", "License Key", I get an error message that the License key isn't valid, although I just got the E-Mail with it!

Try copy the avast License key you having and paste it on the Avast registration box.If you register it by typing the key inside yourself to the avast registration box, you might make some mistake.

When trying to start Avast! to enter the registration code, nothing displays on the screen. Process Explorer shows AshDisp as using plenty of CPU power.

Do you mean that the avast splash screen doesnt appear?

If yes try end the process of the AshDish and open again the avast program. If this doesnt help you Make a repair for avast by going Add or Remove Program> Avast> Repair(This will be found if you scroll down)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 12:53:35 PM by rassel »

rindi

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »
1. That's what I tried, and it didn't take the key.

2. There is no splash screen (The process explorer says AshDisp, Splash screen, but it just doesn't show up).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 01:45:35 PM »
Did you have any other antivirus in the past in this computer?
How did you uninstall it?
Any other security program that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

rindi

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:57:09 PM »
No, the OS and software has just been newly installed on this PC because the problem arose. I'm not sure if the installation of an HP all in one printer was installed before the problem came up (c7280 with HP's solution center software), as that also caused high CPU utilization after it's installation, but this was resolved after an HP online chat and the installation of 2 m$ patches.

rassel

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 06:41:36 AM »
The HP sofware installed on your computer will not affect the avast software.Avast will conflict if you have more than one anti-virus installed on your system.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 11:04:28 AM by rassel »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 11:30:28 AM »
1. Is your system date set correctly?
2. If your avast! build is 4.8.1169 - could you try the latest beta to see if it solves the problem with entering the license key?

rindi

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 12:11:33 PM »
Yes, the system date is correct.

The problem with reinstalling is that apparently my colleague had this problem on this PC this weekend, he uninstalled avast, then tried reinstalling it and it wouldn't reinstall. He then reinstall the whole OS. If I uninstall Avast now and instead install the Beta, I'm afraid that I might get the same problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »
You don't need to uninstall the link Igor gave gives instructions on what to do and there is a file, aswbeta.exe that is small which you download and run from your system. That does the conversion (downloads and installs updated files, etc.) from the regular release to the beta build, once complete, reboot and you will have the beta build no reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rindi

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:36:19 PM »
OK thanks, I'll try that.

rindi

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »
Thanks, it looks as if it worked!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »
Do you mean the latest beta?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security