Author Topic: Trying to delete file from "moved" folder  (Read 6791 times)

2000proman

Trying to delete file from "moved" folder
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:22:49 AM »
I just installed and ran the free home version of Avast and it found a worm located in an old folder of dbx (e-mail) files I had saved a few years ago. Avast decided to suggest moving/renaming the file into "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\moved\Folders.dbx.vir" 

I've been trying to delete the file entirely, but Windows 2000Pro keeps giving me this message: "Cannot delete Folders.dbx: Access is denied. The source file may be in use."

Do I have to go outside windows to delete this file, using a command prompt? Why does it say it "may be in use", since this file is very obviously not in use?  :-\

onlysomeone

Re: Trying to delete file from "moved" folder
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:43:33 AM »
i could imagine that the files are protected by the avast!-self-defense module...

rightclick on the a-symbol in the taskbar --> Settings --> 'last entry in the list' --> deactivate the avast self-defense module --> try to delete the files now... is it possible?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 10:47:11 AM »
Hmm, it's not very clever to protect this folder... let's hope it will be changed in the next program update ;)

[Otherwise, onlysomeone is right].

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:58:42 PM »
Hmm, it's not very clever to protect this folder... let's hope it will be changed in the next program update ;)
Which will be the theory? Changing some folders to user application data folders?
The best things in life are free.

2000proman

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »
i could imagine that the files are protected by the avast!-self-defense module...

rightclick on the a-symbol in the taskbar --> Settings --> 'last entry in the list' --> deactivate the avast self-defense module --> try to delete the files now... is it possible?

Eureka!

thanks, it worked

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »
Which will be the theory? Changing some folders to user application data folders?

Excluding the existing subfolders from protection, I'd say.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 03:22:34 AM »
Excluding the existing subfolders from protection, I'd say.
Thanks Igor.
Consider excluding logs and reports also ;)
The best things in life are free.