Author Topic: Unable to pickup thread from search  (Read 5412 times)

guivho

Unable to pickup thread from search
« on: March 24, 2004, 11:01:23 AM »
This may be the wrong place to discuss this problem, but I don't know of any other place.

When you search for articles, you get a list of individual posts with 'reply', 'quote' and 'notify' buttons.

What you really would want, is a 'thread' button which brings you to the beginning of the thread to which this post belongs.

The absence of such button, makes it very difficult to pick up on a complete thread.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Unable to pickup thread from search
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 01:41:54 PM »
Did I understand you correctly?
You can click the buttons 'go top' or 'go bottom' if the thread has just one page, or you can click the number [1] at the top of the thread...
The best things in life are free.

guivho

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 02:02:00 PM »
Say you look for postings about 'freezing'. The result of this search is a list 48 postings numbered 1 to 48. Each posting has two links pointing to the author info, a 'reply', 'quote' and 'notify button. I do not see a 'go top' nor a 'go bottom' button. I have no way to click on a posting in order to see the complete thread.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 08:41:23 PM »
Say you look for postings about 'freezing'. The result of this search is a list 48 postings numbered 1 to 48. Each posting has two links pointing to the author info, a 'reply', 'quote' and 'notify button. I do not see a 'go top' nor a 'go bottom' button. I have no way to click on a posting in order to see the complete thread.

Oh, I see...
You can click at the name of the thread and, after, the buttons [1], go top, go bottom...
I think there is not a button to avoid one mouse click...  :-\

guivho

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 11:12:22 PM »
Thanks.

I was mislead by the white color of the title line and never realized it was a link.

Stupid me. Sorry for the waste of bandwidth.   :-[

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 11:52:44 PM »
Thanks.

I was mislead by the white color of the title line and never realized it was a link.

Stupid me. Sorry for the waste of bandwidth.   :-[

No, there is not reason to be sorry...
That line does not seem a link... It was a good question and maybe other users could learn with it.
Stay tunned!  :D

z06wannabe

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 03:52:55 AM »
Technical, I agree with guivho. Many forums indent or number replys so they are directly attritbutable to the post to which they are responding. e.g.:

Question
         Reply1
         Reply2
             Reply to Reply2
         Reply3
             Reply to Reply3

Since some replys are to replys rather than the original question, using only sequential numbering of replys is somewhat confusing unless the reply includes a quote from the message to which it is replying.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 01:01:25 PM »
Since some replys are to replys rather than the original question, using only sequential numbering of replys is somewhat confusing unless the reply includes a quote from the message to which it is replying.

z06wannabe, I agree with you who agree with guivho  ;D
Quoting each other is the easiest way to make replyes...  8)