Author Topic: manual update very very slow  (Read 14966 times)

JohnnyBob

manual update very very slow
« on: April 24, 2008, 06:30:27 AM »
I didn't time it, but after clicking for a manual update, it takes at least a minute or two before anything happens. Then everything is in super slow motion. It eventually finishes but something is surely wrong. It was always reasonably fast in the past.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: manual update very very slow
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:50:02 AM »
Your concern seems to be related to this thread.

If you have some actual timings we can compare then it is hard to have a discussion with "I recall" or "reasonably fast".

JohnnyBob

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:26:07 AM »
Thanks. I read the thread and didn't see any solutions. Same system here as it has been for the last few years, and always before the updates were reasonably fast. Now they're super slow. I mean if the latest update is already installed, so no update is necessary, it still takes a minute or two after pressing the update button for anything to happen. Something is wrong.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »
I guess that my point is .. the response is always instant in my case. 

What evidence can you give us to take a look at.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »
The evidence is my observation that it is not working right.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 02:02:45 PM »
The evidence is my observation that it is not working right.
Difficult to troubleshoot... does the update finished?
The best things in life are free.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 02:22:54 PM »
Read my original post.
I'm outa this stupid forum and will go back to free AVG.
Goodbye.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 02:24:32 PM »
Well... there is no place for hard feelings. We're trying to help.
If you want you'll get it into AVG, go ahead...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 03:14:30 PM »

Nice attitude for someone with a Peace symbol for their avatar ???

We are only trying to help you, it would have been just as easy to have said, '"It does complete, as I mentioned in my first post."

Good luck with AVG and their forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sesame

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »
This may be too late but before you leave, how about just taking a deep breath and watch a floating cloud like this one?  ;D

Back on topic. 
I didn't time it, but after clicking for a manual update, it takes at least a minute or two before anything happens. Then everything is in super slow motion. It eventually finishes but something is surely wrong. It was always reasonably fast in the past.
Do you mean update process does not only take time but it also slows down whole the system?  If so, it is definitely odd since the process may take time depending on the connection but it shouldn't be such a load on whole the system...except probably heavy program updates, which shouldn't be a case because you probably meant VPS update considering 4.8.1169 was released almost a month ago.  I agree it sounds odd.  I wonder how ordinarily VPS update can slow down whole the system at annoying level?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 09:47:50 PM »
Rumpelstiltskin,

the process may take time depending on the connection but it shouldn't be such a load on whole the system

This is really not correct at all ... please read the explanation in the thread I linked to at the top of this thread.

Sesame

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 10:37:58 PM »
Rumpelstiltskin,

the process may take time depending on the connection but it shouldn't be such a load on whole the system

This is really not correct at all ... please read the explanation in the thread I linked to at the top of this thread.
Probably because of my lack of understating on how Avast's VPS update works,  I took it's all about program update when I skimmed the thread first time.  I knew Avast's each update takes time but I thought it was the same reason for AntiVir, which seems to be suffering from the scarce server resource.  Seems I totally mixed them up.  Honestly, I haven't noticed Avast VPS update has been so resource intensive.  Most likely I thought the slow-down was just a part of start up process since I rarely update manually.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 10:42:15 PM »
I haven't noticed Avast VPS update has been so resource intensive.
And it is not... the automatic update runs at lower priority. The manual, of course, as invoked by the user himself, will run at high priority.

Sesame

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 10:55:47 PM »
Yous beat me totally.  ;D
I haven't noticed Avast VPS update has been so resource intensive.
And it is not... the automatic update runs at lower priority. The manual, of course, as invoked by the user himself, will run at high priority.
That explains a lot. So, if someone who hasn't updated VPS for a while manually updates it, then, it can be really resource intensive although the recent program tweaks are aimed to make it less problematic?  Now I wonder if this is the case of JohnnyBob's...well...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 01:18:31 AM »
Whether the update runs at normal priority or lower priority is not entirely relevant.  The avast process of updating the virus database still is very CPU intensive (as acknowledged by the avast team) and whichever way it is run still takes exactly the same number of CPU seconds/minutes to complete. 

To say it is not is simply ignoring facts.

I believe that the issue here may well be different - if we could have got more information.

The "nothing happening for a minute or two" is not normal for a manual update. 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:22:54 AM by alanrf »