Author Topic: manual update very very slow  (Read 14967 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: manual update very very slow
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »
Even I do not read properly ... I just had to post an apology to Vlk for not reading his post with attention.

I am still a little more puzzled about the original posters description in this thread.  I wish we had got some more information. 

If it is literally correct and that nothing happens for one or two minutes after requesting a manual update then it is far from usual and I cannot give any explanation to support those facts - if facts they be.   

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 06:07:39 PM »
My 2p worth, for what it's worth.

Very interesting Alan.
I very rarely delve deeply into the setup.log, only taking a cursory look at it. Your observations are totally correct in the use of the /limitcpu parameter. I have recently cleared out my setup.log file and there was only 56KB so doing a search for /limitcpu only gets one hit and that was on the 23rd and I have had a number of updates since then. This however doesn't seem to be a VPS update but news.

So it would appear that some updates have also got past without this limitation. My Update (Basic) settings have the Virus Database set to 'Ask' so I get notification in the form of the pop-up at the bottom of the screen and I usually click that when it is displayed to do the update.

I don't know if that 'Ask' would be classed as a manual update or not (as it is initiated automatically), but if so then I wouldn't have had the single /limitcpu entry from the 23rd either. Even then I'm not sure if that single entry was for the VPS update as the command line didn't have that in it rather it had /updatenews, see below.

I did a manual update and did a screen capture of the Task Manager that shows avast.setup at 97%, giving an overall of 100% with Task Manager taking 2% and something else taking the remaing 1% to make up the 100% cpu. So on manual (and possibly 'Ask') the avast.setup happly gobbles up what ever cpu is available. During this time there is a noticable slow down in browsing, etc. but for me this isn't for that long as a) I don't have big gaps in my VPS update cycle.

Auto ? - general Cmdline: /downloadpkgs /noreboot /updatenews /verysilent /nolog /limitcpu
Manual or Ask ? - general Cmdline: /downloadpkgs /noreboot /updatevps /silent /progress 

So there are other differences to the command line other than the missing /limitcpu. This difference could mean even though you have selected 'Ask' this happens automatically regardless, hence the /verysilent parameter.

Unless it is Alwil's thinking that when launching a manual update there is no need to limit the cpu activity as would appear to be the case with Igor's response. As for the comment:
Quote from: igor
It's normal for a program to perform whatever it's asked to in the usual way, using as much CPU as needed (there's even no documented way to limit one's CPU usage, as far as I know - it's kind of a trick here).

What would be wrong with applying the same trick, /limitcpu to the command line for the 'Manual' or 'Ask' form of updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
Yes, even the manual updates could be run with /limitcpu parameters - but the update takes longer than "normally" in such a case (the necessary computations have to be done anyway, so if only one third of CPU is used, the computation will take three times longer).

I admit I don't have any statistics on "when people run a manual update" - but I'd expect it's done when the user wants to perform the update... "now" (for example before running a scan). So why wait for the update to finish, watch the screen... and leave the CPU idle during that time? I can't see any point here...
(It's different with automatic updates, of course - because they may be started at any time, e.g. when the user is playing a game. But here, it's the user himself who invoked the update - and probably waiting for it to finish.)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 09:49:58 PM »
My whole point is I don't class what I'm doing as a true manual update but one initiated by the update check.

Being on dial-up I have it normally set to 'Ask,' now if even that is classed as a 'manual' update there are delays whilst I continue to browse whilst that update is going on.

So for me I don't class that as a true manual initiation of an update as my intention wasn't to go on-line to get any updates but to collect email, browse, these forums, etc. So the unthrottled cpu does have an impact.

Whilst the update would take three times longer it would allow me to continue with what I intended doing whilst the update effectively goes on in the background.

I don't update before a scan as I maintain my VPS updates as they become available and haven't set the Update (Basic) to Manual, so again I don't class what I'm doing, clicking the notification of update box to authorise the update as a 'manual' update.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 09:52:11 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »
Auto: /downloadpkgs /noreboot /updatenews /verysilent /nolog /limitcpu
Manual or Ask: /downloadpkgs /noreboot /updatevps /silent /progress 
I don't see why we should use /downloadpkgs /updatenews /nolog options. I will keep only
/noreboot
/verysilent or /silent
/limitcpu or nothing

It is often the case in this forum ... opinions (good and bad) are often based on a total absence of real testing of the product.
Just to comment: generally, my posts refers to personal experiences and tests. If not, I based my opinions on other experiences and tests.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2008, 03:32:49 PM »
My assumption is that the /downloadpkgs parameter is essential as the downloading of the packages is what the update it about ???

My reporting of these wasn't a suggestion of what the cmdline should be, but the actual cmdline: entries from two updates from the setup.log (so there is no I would keep as that is beyond user control). One, which I though was auto (because of the /limitcpu parameter) and the other classed as manual.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2008, 03:35:47 PM »
My assumption is that the /downloadpkgs parameter is essential as the downloading of the packages is what the update it about ???
I run the command line without it... maybe it's the default action...
What is the command /stopstat that appears in some users setup.log files?

psw

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
/updatenews is used in autoupdate when 'Program update' option is set to 'Ask' or 'Auto' only and required for chicking new program version availability.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »
/updatenews is used in autoupdate when 'Program update' option is set to 'Ask' or 'Auto' only and required for chicking new program version availability.
Not so sure... the command-line should use other parameter (right now I'm on Linux, sorry) and not /updatenews. The parameter is /program or something like that, instead of /updatevps

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
Now on Vista I've found...
"<avast>\ashUpd.exe" program /silent /nodetails
But I noticed that ashupd.exe is only present on Pro version...  :-[ :-\

psw

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2008, 04:36:20 PM »
It is not ashUpd.exe. We talk about command line parameters using for starting avast.setup process in service aswUpdSv.exe (probably avast.setup is writing into setup.log)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »
It is not ashUpd.exe. We talk about command line parameters using for starting avast.setup process in service aswUpdSv.exe (probably avast.setup is writing into setup.log)
I realize that before I've posted... so my latest comment above.