Author Topic: Avast 4.8 home edition problem  (Read 2544 times)

fit33

Avast 4.8 home edition problem
« on: April 29, 2008, 12:59:10 AM »
Hi guys im Arron, I just recently got a new computer with vista and was recommended by a friend to  download the home edition.

I have a had avast in the past on XP and it worked fine without a problem but with the new computer the auto protect doesnt work and nothing comes up in my task bar. I slide the slider so its enabled but after a couple of seconds it disabled again. I can scan for viruses in the console but as soon as i close it the whole thing is gone with nothing showing that its protected like it did when using XP.

Has anyone experienced this problem and be able to help me please?

fit33

Re: Avast 4.8 home edition problem
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 01:10:11 AM »
If that makes any sense? Haha

If not let me know and ill try explain it better.

:)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 01:21:04 AM »
Is the avast ' a ' icon in the system tray to the left of the clock ?
Does there happen to be a Red circle with a bar through it over the top og the icon ?

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this new system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fit33

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 01:28:10 AM »
Thankyou for your reply DavidR

There is no 'a' in the system tray even when i open the console.

I know this is a pain but i cant check the task manager at the moment because i am at work but as soon as i get home i will check it. Not sure if im right but if its not in the system tray it wouldnt be in the task manager?

The computer did have a 90 day trail norton anti virus but i was told by a friend that nortons is no good and avast is alot better and to delete it. So i did in the add/remove programs in the contol panel. God i hope i did it right?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 01:51:54 AM »
Norton is a bit of a pig to remove even after an uninstall (a must) remnants might remain.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

That is a possible for a Red circle over the a icon but not normally associated with no icon at all. That is usually down to other security applications, like those mentioned below that monitor new startup entries like the one for ashDisp.exe (the icon and interface to the on-access protection).

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder.

The above options you should only investigate having uninstalling Norton and running the Norton uninstall tool.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security