Author Topic: Avast 4.8 Avast! Antivirus service: ACCESS DENIED  (Read 5941 times)

Archdeacon

Avast 4.8 Avast! Antivirus service: ACCESS DENIED
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:22:24 AM »
I run a CIM CommandLineEventFilter to start Avast Services (Avast! Antivirus + dependants) on XP Pro on detection of System Event 4201 (Network detected) as I do not need it to run when I am not online. This worked fine under 4.7 but 4.8 gives an error message ACCESS DENIED when i try to change the setting, which i normally run as Manual. I note that this has defaulted to Automatic which I need to change. What can be done please??

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast 4.8 Avast! Antivirus service: ACCESS DENIED
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:29:56 AM »
Try disabling self-protection. I'm quiet sure this is the reason for your problem.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 03:47:21 PM »
Really, there are ways to tweak avast installation and let it running all the time without that much resources consumption...
That particular setting that RejZor is talking is on the Troubleshooting tab of settings.
The best things in life are free.

Archdeacon

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 05:50:50 AM »
I can disable it manually by right-clicking the notificatiob bar Avast Icon and then clicking Stop; but i need to do this via a script program wich, with this version, hangs due to waiting for a confirmation. Presumably some DWORD has been changed which i must reset to normal, ie as it was in 4.7. This is an Adminisrator account and I really object to having such restrictions imposed automatically. There should at least be the option of selecting this.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 06:05:02 AM »
Did you try turning off the self protection?

Archdeacon

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 05:41:52 AM »
I would likek to thank RejZor as your advice (disabling Self-Defence module) fixed the problem; I would never have found that. Thanks very much!