Author Topic: Avast.INI File Modification  (Read 8169 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast.INI File Modification
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 12:11:01 AM »
but the draconian self-defence.

I even think it's a bad feature or it's not correctly working.

I think it is a good and necessary feature, but the design and balance has to be right. I think it may be working correctly based on what they wanted it to do (stop anything having an impact on avast files, etc.), but we aren't privy to that, so that is speculation on my part.

It will have issues and they're being addressed. The self-defence module is welcome and should be there.
I think the issues are being addressed, it is just a shame that none of those beta testing this experienced any of these self-defence issues and they could have been addressed sooner.

It's not funny has anything disabling and destroying avast...

The forums have had many, many topics on beagle infections killing avast!
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 12:14:17 AM »
It is just a shame that none of those beta testing this experienced any of these self-defence issues and they could have been addressed sooner.
Well... beta is only released at forums... there aren't many users testing it. A lot of forum users just avoid using (testing) the beta... So, how many are really testing it? 50 guys?
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 02:58:44 AM »
I have made entirely clear that I wholeheartedly agree with both of you on the issue of two anti-viruses. 

I pointed the original poster to a thread where David clearly recommended avoiding two antivirus products running concurrently.  However, the poster also made entirely clear that ZA and avast has coexisted without issues on the system in question.

The irrefutable fact is that the user's system was disturbed not by that but by the installation of avast 4.8.  The next release will remove the disturbance to the user's environment.  I merely suggest it is not our place, especially with this issue, to demand the user change a problem free environment to compensate for the present over zealous actions of 4.8.1169.

Offline DacrimL

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 12:46:33 PM »
Thank you for your support alanrf..... ;D

I never meant to start an argument over this problem....however I have always believed that any user should be able to run 2 or more similar programs simultaneously without conflict. As a low end user I could only imagine how hard this makes writing and preparing programs, but for me where 1 AV has missed something the other usually picks it up and I have found both Avast & ZoneAlarms to be sufficient for the job at hand.

The fact that the Avast officialdom has recognized the problems and are endeavouring to repair this issue in the forthcoming release is a great thing as I am certain I am not the only person to be running both programs together.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »
As a matter of fact, we have decided to change the way avast INI modification consent dialog will be shown (from the next program update on).

Right now, any process (EXCEPT for those explicitly listed in the virus database) that tries to open the INI file for write access will trigger the consent dialog.

Now, from the next update on, we will only show the consent dialog if the request is EITHER coming from Notepad, OR if the process explicitly whitelisted by the user. The rationale behind this is that most people (probably) use Notepad to edit the file anyway, and those who don't can tweak the settings a bit and configure avast to enable their favorite text editor to save the file.

This change should resolve practically all compatibility issues we're now seeing (with regard to this feature).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »
Quote from: Vlk
Right now, any process (EXCEPT for those explicitly listed in the virus database) that tries to open the INI file for write access will trigger the consent dialog.

Now, from the next update on, we will only show the consent dialog if the request is EITHER coming from Notepad, OR if the process explicitly whitelisted by the user.

Does that include the beta build 4.8.1185 ?
It doesn't display the dialogue when I open it with Notepad, so this doesn't conform with what you said above.

But it does when I open it with Editpad Lite as you said above. I tried the leave the countdown to run down rather than give explicit choice. The avast4.ini is displayed but you get a read only notification/warning from Editpad Lite.

How are we the users to explicitly whitelist the process, e.g. editpad lite (or other text editor of choice) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 06:57:18 PM »
It doesn't apply to v1185.
The details will be announced as soon as the feature is implemented.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 07:05:38 PM »
Thanks for the update Vlk.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 08:24:28 PM »
i received this warning after update to beta 1185. In the dialog screen appears that avast setup wanted to modify avast.ini, so the problem is not only with 1169. I dont have another AV or other resident scanners.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS