Author Topic: Updating from 1178 to Free Home 4.8.1185 on Windows 98 S.E  (Read 16020 times)

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Updating from 1178 to Free Home 4.8.1185 on Windows 98 S.E
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 09:53:10 PM »
So this means I can keep my current version and just perform the manual program update when the time comes without ever having to future install the aswBeta.exe separately.
Yes. Once you're using beta, invoking program updates will update the beta (and in the future, to the official release also).

I understand that now, but, what happens when I need to upgrade once I have the official version?

Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 09:56:40 PM »
I understand that now, but, what happens when I need to upgrade once I have the official version?
It will upgrade with or without the self defense module on.
The self defense only prevents the first upgrade from official version to beta, i.e., entering the beta program is only done manually disabling the self defense module.
The best things in life are free.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2008, 10:05:44 PM »
It will upgrade with or without the self defense module on.
The self defense only prevents the first upgrade from official version to beta, i.e., entering the beta program is only done manually disabling the self defense module.

The only thing that worries me is when I go out of Beta to an official version, what happens if I want to go into a beta? is that when I need to download the aswbeta.exe file to enable me to enter a new beta program.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:09:29 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008, 10:14:43 PM »
The only thing that worries me is when I go out of Beta to an official version, what happens if I want to go into a beta? is that when I need to download the aswbeta.exe file to enable me to enter a new beta program.
Yes, you can download it again or you can use the 'old' aswbeta.exe program too... it's very small.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008, 10:17:54 PM »
When a new beta is announced (after a regular release) on the forums, you will be given the link for aswbeta.exe, this is required only to convert from the regular version to the beta version. If you are on the beta and there is a beta refresh you need only use the program update and you get the refreshed beta version.

When the beta is complete and that is usually indicated by a post on the forums announcing the release of a regular program update. At that point you use the program update and you will be converted to the regular release.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008, 10:18:13 PM »
Yes, you can download it again or you can use the 'old' aswbeta.exe program too... it's very small.

So would it be better for me to just update to official versions and forget about future beta's? because of the fact that I am unable to disable the defense module.

I wonder how I ended up with a beta as I never downloaded the aswbeta.exe file and only first installed Avast 4.8.1178 from the home link that Vlk posted on the pre-release page.

This must have been the fulll package including the updater for the beta installation.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:22:15 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008, 10:21:42 PM »
So would it be better for me to just update to official versions and forget about future beta's? because of the fact that I am unable to disable the defense module.
No, you can use beta with or without defense module, no problems.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »
Right ok, just to get all this right, I am currently using a beta free version 4.8.1185. and remember I am on 98 S.E

1. If currently on a beta and want to upgrade to a full official release?

Answer please..................................................................

2. Currently on an official release, new beta required?

Answer please...............................................................

Why I am asking all these questions is because I was a little bit confused due to the fact that I ended up with a beta when I thought i was just installing an official release.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 10:35:57 PM »
1. If currently on a beta and want to upgrade to a full official release?
Just invoke program update.

2. Currently on an official release, new beta required?
Run aswbeta.exe and enter the beta program.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 10:42:27 PM »
Magic, thanks for the info, and sorry for all those questions, just needed to get it right.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 03:28:45 AM »
nightshade ...

it seems that you need Vlk, Tech and DavidR to tell you over again from each what I told you already and, frankly, what you have already been told before in the forum.   

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2008, 04:00:23 AM »
nightshade ...

it seems that you need Vlk, Tech and DavidR to tell you over again from each what I told you already and, frankly, what you have already been told before in the forum.   

Now come on alanrf,

you know for sure that it's not easy to understand when posting on forums, it's all too easy to slag someone that has problems understanding all of this, especially when files are not named as Beta's but later you are told that there were infact Beta!

There have been times when I have seen you guys even question Vlk about what he has written, so lay off the sarcastic attacks on me alanrf!

I had this at the AVG forums and I certainly don't need it here!
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2008, 04:16:20 AM »
These are not sarcastic comments.

You sent me a personal message asking me to enter the forum and respond to your concerns.  I did so.   

The discussion about how you entered this beta program has been repeated by you in the forum.  You gave us same the story yet again.  You effectively ask the same question in multiple threads.  You got the same answers from igor, Vlk, Tech and DavidR as you got from me.

I am happy that you are participating and asking questions.  I am surprised that you feel the need to get the same questions answered over again a few days after they have been given to you.       

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2008, 04:55:05 AM »
These are not sarcastic comments.

You sent me a personal message asking me to enter the forum and respond to your concerns.  I did so.   

The discussion about how you entered this beta program has been repeated by you in the forum.  You gave us same the story yet again.  You effectively ask the same question in multiple threads.  You got the same answers from igor, Vlk, Tech and DavidR as you got from me.

I am happy that you are participating and asking questions.  I am surprised that you feel the need to get the same questions answered over again a few days after they have been given to you.       

Look, the answers I get are often written differently by each of you, and it's hard to determine what each of you are trying to say, I thought I made that clear, obviously you didn't understand that.

As for the multiple threads, I didnt realise there were 2 threads running and I thought it was the same one each time as I had forgotten that I had replied to the post by Vlk.

Do you personally believe that everyone understands all of this technical stuff fully, I think not.................
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2008, 05:22:57 AM »
I do not want to prolong this but ... after my posts to you (that you requested me to make) I asked you (in a personal message) if they were clear to you or not.  By then you were posting the same questions in a different thread and a far more knowledgeable person (igor) had already replied to you. 

I cannot speak for any others in this forum but I am not inclined to play in the game of "I will get answers to the same question from as many different sources as possible and see which one I like". I am not saying that is your intent but your posts could be a bit more focused.

We are not nearly as inclined as the AVG forums to the "you will stand to attention and answer the questions or you get no answer" approach.  This is a generally free and easy forum with a relaxed approach but please just try to keep your questions going wherever possible in your own thread and if the answer is not clear to you most of us are willing to try to find a way to explain that works for you.

I want to be entirely clear, I welcome you and your participation here in the avast forums.  I am just suggesting that we can better help you with a bit more focus.