Author Topic: Temporary Freezes  (Read 10779 times)

Joe S

Re: Temporary Freezes
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 04:11:38 PM »
I rolled Acrobat reader back to version 7.0 and things seem to be working fine now. I"ll have to checkout the Foxit readerwhen I have more time.
Joe

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 04:23:28 PM »
Going back to Acrobat reader version 7 rolls back to a version with vulnerabilities, the whole point of the update to the latest version.

There must surely be program settings that allow you to disable the auto updates and stop it running on boot. Possibly an entry for Adobeupdate.exe in the msconfig, startup tab that can be disabled.

However, another vote for abandoning acrobat and use foxitPDF reader.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wsx123

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 12:38:11 AM »
I tried to install Adobe reader 8 twice, both outcomes the same-the updater tries to connect over and over freezing up the pc. I tried the free foxit and it works great, no problems at all-

Firebytes

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 12:49:20 AM »
There must surely be program settings that allow you to disable the auto updates and stop it running on boot. Possibly an entry for Adobeupdate.exe in the msconfig, startup tab that can be disabled.

I prefer Foxit but if you use Acrobat Reader 8 here is how to disable the automatic updates:

click - help>check for updates>preferences>then uncheck "Automatically check for Adobe updates"

Firebytes

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 12:51:06 AM »
Also, besides Foxit you could try PDF-Xchange viewer it's good too.

Firebytes

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 12:57:53 AM »
Oh yeah, almost forgot, you can disable Adobe Reader starting with windows by using msconfig (at least in XP).

wsx123

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 12:31:57 AM »
Oh yeah, almost forgot, you can disable Adobe Reader starting with windows by using msconfig (at least in XP).
I did that, after the computer rebooted Adobe took over again. I have windows XP. I never had an option to turn off updates from any menu using the free reader.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 05:52:01 PM »
Adobe Updater could be disabled or configurated accordingly.
Sorry, it's on Portuguese...
The best things in life are free.

Firebytes

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 08:14:27 PM »
I did that, after the computer rebooted Adobe took over again. I have windows XP. I never had an option to turn off updates from any menu using the free reader.

Well, on my system stopping Adobe's startup in msconfig stopped it for good, so you may have something else affecting it. You could always get Autoruns from SysInternals which gives you a lot more control over startups. As far as the option to turn off updates in Adobe Reader 8 (free) it is there. As I said in my other post you must go through these steps to get to it:

click - help>check for updates>preferences>then uncheck "Automatically check for Adobe updates"

One thing I did forget to mention last time though is that after clicking "check for updates" you must allow it to finish checking for new updates before it will give you the "preferences" option which is where you must go to turn off auto updates.

If you have swithced to either Foxit or PDF-Xchange viewer though you are better off anyway. I only use Adobe Reader on one system due to some files my daughter requires for school which will not work in Foxit or PDF-Xchange for some reason.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 01:09:19 AM »

One thing I did forget to mention last time though is that after clicking "check for updates" you must allow it to finish checking for new updates before it will give you the "preferences" option which is where you must go to turn off auto updates.
Thanks Firebytes for writing what I was not able to explain.
The best things in life are free.

Joe S

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 01:42:24 AM »
Marc57
Thanks for the info on Foxit reader. I tried it on a virtual machine and liked it. I uninstalled acrobat reader and installed free Foxit reader on my actual pc and it works fine for my needs. Acrobat reader reminds me of the Real Player, both seem to alter your settings to theirs when you update!
Joe