Author Topic: Avast Won't Exit Tray  (Read 33203 times)

bod62uk

Avast Won't Exit Tray
« on: April 26, 2008, 02:32:56 PM »
Avast will not fully exit and cannot be prevented from starting up via a start up manager, it also cannot be disabled from process manager "operation cannot be completed access denied" I have also tried in safe mode etc and this problem has only come about since avast 4.8, I am using the home version of the antivirus.
We all need to be able to fully exit avast at times, I discovered this problem when I tried to run trojan remover which asked me to exit avast before scanning.
I should point out I am the computer's administrator.

When will this issue be fixed?

Thank you and kind regards.

Steve Bowden.

psw

Re: Avast Won't Exit Tray
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 03:03:46 PM »
This issue was introduced in 4.8 and related with avast! self-defence. So it is unlikely that it wll be fixed.
BTW you are trying to remove only UI to avast! AV service, it is virtually useless for trojan remover usage. Instead you can try to stop Standard Shield from Avast tray. It would exclude any interference with Trojan remover scan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 03:07:15 PM »
I discovered this problem when I tried to run trojan remover which asked me to exit avast before scanning.
Which is it?
I wouldn't disable the antivirus for nothing...

It's not an issue or bug, it's a feature.
The best things in life are free.

bod62uk

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 03:37:31 PM »
I'm afraid even avast misses some nasties that have appeared on my PC, it's been a great AV but this will put some people off using it, there are times when the service needs disabling completely, faster defrags and other scans for example.
I need to be able to control the AV not have the AV control me.
Simply stopping 'on access protection' doesn't appear to stop any of it's processes.
All the same I think it would be best to try something else, an AV the lets me control what's happening to my PC.

Thanks for your help forum,

Regards

Steve.

psw

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »
You can disable self-defence. In this case you can stop any avast process (and smart malware can stop this process too).

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 03:44:45 PM »
Sorry, but this is nonsense - you won't get any faster defrags or similar stuff if you stop avast! processes.
As for other scans, stopping avast! resident protection should be enough (and if not, it's a conflict between antivirus drivers - which would occur earlier anyway, no matter if avast! processes are running or not.)

You can disable the self-defense in avast! settings (Troubleshooting page), if you want to. But as I said, your reasons are just wrong.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 03:52:56 PM »
faster defrags
It should happen a low level and not interfere with antivirus... I've read this is a myth and non-technical opinion.

and other scans for example.
The service won't interfere. Just disable the providers.

I need to be able to control the AV not have the AV control me.
For sure. You're with one of the most configurable antivirus round.

Simply stopping 'on access protection' doesn't appear to stop any of it's processes.
Steve, believe me, why do you need to do that?

bod62uk

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »
Let's agree to disagree here, the antivirus doesn't fully exit period.
Stop blinding yourselves with science.
I want the AV to fully exit just like it used to and just like other AV programs do.
I want to control it, not it control my PC.
Of what I speak isn't nonsense and clearly anyone with a little knowlege in the I.T world would know to exit everything before scanning or defragmenting!
Files in use are not scanned and defragmenting uses a lot of resources especially on older machines so yes it's better to have a minium of processes running.

I haven't come here to argue I have been a member of the forum for 4 years and have found it a helpful read.

If this is a new feature that's here to stay, then so be it, I will find another free or perhaps buy a an antivirus that will fully exit when it's told.

Thanks for the input and bounce!

Steve Bowden.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 04:24:18 PM »
Let's agree to disagree here, the antivirus doesn't fully exit period.
Stop blinding yourselves with science.
Hey... who's blinding himself here? ;D

I want the AV to fully exit just like it used to and just like other AV programs do.
Antivirus and security programs are 'like the others'. This is not Word...

I want to control it, not it control my PC.
It does not control, it protects. You're limited to a lot of things, starting from the operational system... full freedom? Utopia...

Of what I speak isn't nonsense and clearly anyone with a little knowlege in the I.T world would know to exit everything before scanning or defragmenting!
Again, it's a myth.

Files in use are not scanned
Modern antivirus know how to circumvent that.

and defragmenting uses a lot of resources especially on older machines so yes it's better to have a minium of processes running.
Agree with old machines. But a lot of items does not use CPU and won't interfere with defragmenting... for instance, the icon on system tray.

I haven't come here to argue I have been a member of the forum for 4 years and have found it a helpful read.
Neither do we... we're just changing experiences, not arguing or fighting ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 05:52:33 PM »
Have you read my post or not?
The feature will certainly stay, as it improves the antivirus protection significantly - but you can disable it in program settings, if you feel the urge to.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 04:29:08 AM »
I am sorry to say that the posts here reflect rather more on the poster's lack of knowledge on how avast has been working for the last 4 years and the control very mistakenly thought ("like it used to") to be enjoyed in those "good old days".

Exactly the same parts of avast terminate on stopping on access protection as they have done for the last 4 years, no more no less. 

There were always avast drivers running that you did not terminate and were, most likely, unaware of. 

You have been performing your defrags and other tasks in a blissful lack of real knowledge apparently quite happily for the last 4 years.  Now you have heard that there are a couple of new drivers that you cannot turn off (joining the other drivers that you did not turn off). 

If you believe that other AV products do not work in the same way then you will have to suspend disbelief or be consigned to perpetual disappointment.     

eddus

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »
Program Settings, Troubleshooting- disable Avast self defence module.
This lets the program processes be ended in task manager.

nu2_Sun

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:07:20 PM »
I agree with the other posts.
And not only am I unable to exit AVAST, I can't even disable it from running on start-up. And as intrusive/persistent/thorough all the other anti-virus programs I've used in the past had been, they at least allowed me that.

It shouldn't even matter WHY one may want to exit AVAST.

When a program runs on my computer I want to have control over it, rather than be protected in spite of everything - against myself and for my own good.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 12:32:09 PM »
Then... read again what was posted in this thread.

nu2_Sun

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 01:18:02 PM »
Then... read again what was posted in this thread.

I have read what was posted here earlier.

Program Settings, Troubleshooting- disable Avast self defence module.

This doesn't seem to work for me - I still get the "Unable to terminate process. Access denied" message when I try to end (avast) processes.
Is there any way to disable AVAST! from starting at start-up?
I cannot disable it through MSConfig, nor through third-party start-up manager software (TuneUp).

I understand the need for the super-high level of protection/security of Avast processes and under normal circumstances it is a commendable feature. However I use a low-end lap-top and sometimes even the 5,964K AshDisp.exe can be a drain on resources.
So, once again - what, if anything, can I do to disable Avast running at start-up?
Thank you for your help.