Author Topic: Avast Won't Exit Tray  (Read 33206 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast Won't Exit Tray
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 02:08:23 PM »
What is the exact build of avast! you have installed?
What happens when you check the "Disable self-defense" option in avast! settings and click "OK"?

perigee22

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 11:16:52 PM »
Of course Avast is among the best Anti-Virus GUIs but.....

Checking Disable avast! self-defense module   does not work. It resets itself to off the moment you close the settings/troubleshooting window. Now I cant keep Avast from loading at start up... that's right I dont want it loaded at start up. I run virtually allot and so dont worry about viruses for the most part.

I enjoy using the link on the context menu for scanning individual files. Sometimes I will turn all of Avast on when I need to do a system scan but this is extremely rare. I run the leanest possible WinXPP system, I like it that way, I want it that way, I need it that way for programming and debugging and general operation.

I can update and scan with Avast with just the few modules left running after the 3 main EXEs are disabled in version 4.7. With 4.8 I cant do this.

I can't prevent ashserv.exe, ashsimp2.exe and aswUpdSv.exe from loading by any means  :o.
They cant be killed once they have been loaded either.

Anyway... I cant find out if I can have Avast the way I want it until I can get Disable avast! self-defense module to stay checked. Help! Thank you!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 11:54:57 PM »
Disable avast! self-defense module should work. I've tested it yesterday. No problems.
Did you use any other antivirus in this computer.
avast is not programmed to be an on-demand scanner only... It's not intended to work this way.
The best things in life are free.

perigee22

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 12:27:08 AM »

No, no other AV used, ever...

Here's what I did; Ive uninstalled, cleaned up and reinstalled Avast 4.7 twice.

I used a 4.7 setup engine while disconnected from the internet, setup, disabled autoupdate in favor of manual updating and only then went on the internet to update the virus lists only... ;) but here I had 4.8 installed and with the obstinate self-defense module checkbox refusing to hold its checkmark.

As for running as an On-Demand scanner all I can say is that with V4.7 I had disabled the Avasts exes that appear in MSConfig or the "Services" app. However, the Autoruns utility listed the context menu module and maybe a few others as loaded.

This suited my needs for an anti-virus program perfectly. Maybe I should install 4.8 from its own installation engine and not via 4.7?

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 12:50:15 AM »
It would probably be best to do a clean reinstall of the latest version 4.8.1201 ?

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.
3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nu2_Sun

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »
After some fiddling around I did manage to get it to work (or rather stop it from working :)) by disabling the self-defence module, and then disabling the program itself in MSConfig. Had to restart the computer a few times as well (even before accessing MSConfig). It was quite tricky, and in future this feature could probably be made more intuitive, but a relief to know it's possible.
Apart from this minor issue, Avast! is a great defence program and ultimately I would choose it over all of its competitors.
Thank you very much for your help!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 09:04:25 AM »
avast will have to keep up with the efforts of the malware developers to overcome its self-protection.

I think it would be foolish to assume that it will ever become more intuitive to disable the self-protection features that are in the best interests of the overwhelming imajority of avast users.   

For the users who say:

It shouldn't even matter WHY one may want to exit AVAST.
When a program runs on my computer I want to have control over it, rather than be protected in spite of everything - against myself and for my own good.

-or-

I like it that way, I want it that way, I need it that way for programming and debugging and general operation.

I would have to say ... sorry but avast is not a product built for individual user's needs but for the avast community.

In the end the product is provided as is - if the product, as designed, not as an on demand scanner, is not to your liking then your best choice may be to seek a product more to your needs.  The vast majority of users, I suspect, want a product that cannot be hijacked by "intuitive disabling" available to every script kiddy on the block.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:18:43 AM by alanrf »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 05:21:56 AM »
this feature could probably be made more intuitive
Again: avast is not intended to be run only on-demand, not resident.
Also, you'll have problems if you try to install other on-access, resident, antivirus.

perigee22

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 06:01:04 PM »

No,
 4.8 wont hold its checkmark either but it seems to be an issue I have alone.

Anyway Avasts' goal to help those who can't help themselves is noble.

However Avast Home Ed. supplies an effective warning asking if it is indeed our intention to uninstall it when it is being uninstalled... could not a similar warning be provided should a script kiddy , lol, try to turn off resident protection?

Anyway, you seem to have made up your mind.

Good bye avast, sniff sniff... you got me out of a few big jams.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:27:50 PM by perigee22 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 07:00:46 PM »
Well, there's a password protection there for the resident protection...

perigee22

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 07:28:25 PM »

Wait...

I'm not paying attention to myself...

So if the self-defense module did hold its check mark, could I in fact prevent Avast from loading?

If not then of course I'd have to conclude that the disabling of the self defense is just for show...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:32:09 PM by perigee22 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 07:40:19 PM »
If you disable the self-defence you can do what you like to avast, even prevent it from running, disable services, etc.

It most certainly isn't for show, or we wouldn't be able to disable it to install the pre-release version that we are testing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »
You're installation seems somehow damaged... Self-defense module can be disabled for sure...
Maybe you should install from the scratch.

perigee22

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 10:17:48 PM »

Ok great,

I apologize for the implication.

Ive uninstalled 4.7 and 4.8 down to the very last reference as far as I can see.

However I will keep trying. Getting that checkmark to hold seems to be the only issue I have with the whole program! Just my luck! I have a ton of services disabled, I suppose it needs one of them. Maybe I can find its dependency. Thank you for your help.   ;D

nu2_Sun

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 06:39:08 AM »
avast will have to keep up with the efforts of the malware developers to overcome its self-protection.

I think it would be foolish to assume that it will ever become more intuitive to disable the self-protection features that are in the best interests of the overwhelming imajority of avast users.   

For the users who say:

It shouldn't even matter WHY one may want to exit AVAST.
When a program runs on my computer I want to have control over it, rather than be protected in spite of everything - against myself and for my own good.

-or-

I like it that way, I want it that way, I need it that way for programming and debugging and general operation.

I would have to say ... sorry but avast is not a product built for individual user's needs but for the avast community.

In the end the product is provided as is - if the product, as designed, not as an on demand scanner, is not to your liking then your best choice may be to seek a product more to your needs.  The vast majority of users, I suspect, want a product that cannot be hijacked by "intuitive disabling" available to every script kiddy on the block.

???

I wasn't submitting a personal request for you to make Avast! more "intuitive" but actually thanking you for your help and commenting that apart from minor issues I still prefer the program to all its competitors.
So why get so defensive? After all you're here to help people (I assume), not tell them that if they aren't happy with some particular program feature they should just go and use something else...