Author Topic: Avast Won't Exit Tray  (Read 33204 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Avast Won't Exit Tray
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2008, 07:50:49 AM »
I do not own this product, I do not work for this product.  I merely support this product for myself and a number of other users (without remuneration).  If you are unable to determine the difference between defensiveness and honesty - then sorry I am not about to expend the effort to make it more clear. 

Please do not assume that this is the limit of the self-defence features of avast.  You may find future features make it less easy for you prevent avast from running as it is designed to do for the vast majority of users.  I have ask that you do not over estimate my purely personal thoughts here as a threat as you did my previous comments as defensiveness.  They are merely offered as a warning in line with my earlier post that all of us should understand the design intentions, capabilities and limits of the products we choose. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 07:53:43 AM by alanrf »

tuttle

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »
It's prudent to temporarily disable anti-virus software before installing new software packages. Many AV apps offer a quick way to do that from the Notification Area (formerly systray).

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 04:05:39 PM »
It's prudent to temporarily disable anti-virus software before installing new software packages.

Prudent? On contrary - it's ridiculous, and dangerous.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »
It's prudent to temporarily disable anti-virus software before installing new software packages. Many AV apps offer a quick way to do that from the Notification Area (formerly systray).
Shame of these many AV... it's not prudent, it's imprudent, less technical, reasonless suggestion...
The best things in life are free.

mikerg

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2008, 03:01:46 PM »
However I will keep trying. Getting that checkmark to hold seems to be the only issue I have with the whole program! Just my luck! I have a ton of services disabled, I suppose it needs one of them. Maybe I can find its dependency. Thank you for your help.   ;D

I am new to both Avast and this forum but also use my PC for developing and programming..

I was having problems with tick/check boxes registering changes and it was due to an incorrect registry entry relating to Internet Explorer ActiveX compatibilty. Apparantly caused by MS-Visual Studio. I found a fix which I have posted here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36818.0

It cured the checkbox issue for me and I hope it does the same for you. :)

~Mike~

perigee22

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 02:49:49 PM »

I still can not turn off the self defence module. I did apply the Internet Explorer ActiveX compatibilty reg adjustment but this didnt work for causing the disable avast! self-defense module check box to hold its checkmark.

An interesting thing happened however after I did another install of 4.8 Home Edition on my WinXPP. I copied the contents of avast4.ini and made a new one placing it outside of the avast/data directory. I cant edit the programs own avast4.ini as it is locked solid.

After installing but before the re-booting I over-wrote avast4.ini, before it became locked, with the one I had edited with the setting I wanted including SelfDefenseEnabled=0. All modified settings including StartupRootkitScan=0 and RawBootTimeScan=0 appeared as I had set them except one... SelfDefenseEnabled=0 was back to SelfDefenseEnabled=1

Help...  :)

Thank you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 05:32:38 PM »
perigee22, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

perigee22

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 03:49:37 AM »

Yes I have used the avast un-install utility after uninstalling from Add/Remove, thrice. With this install I even installed to the default location on the C:\ drive and not to my logical partition E:\.  Avast on a friends comp holds the checkmark fine. As I have said I am running a very lean WinXPP but this last install had many services that I had turned off turned back on, including Cryptography. I am a firefox user and some components of IE are disabled in Autoruns. Is Avast expecting full IE functionality?

Thank you very much

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 01:37:35 PM »
avast only uses IE for the help files (the same as many other applications) as far as I'm aware, so it isn't really dependant on IE.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 02:05:46 PM »
Is Avast expecting full IE functionality?
Not IE, but avast need Internet connection to update, i.e., if you change any IE setting that avoids connection, or mess it... avast just uses IE for some help files to be read as David said.

Carl471

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2013, 03:33:04 AM »
I needed to performance maintenance+tune up on my pc and wasn't able to close Avast; that's how I found this article.
Result:
The only other software that required a separate uninstaller was Norton's bloatware, that would often leave files/folders/registry entry's behind. Now Avast is behaving similar to malware, to the point where it has taken control of the computer, and doesn't allow a basic function such as exiting the program.

This leaves the user a single & clear option of uninstalling the program. I recommend using Revo uninstaller to completely remove all remnants of it.
Further, there are other local/cloud based solutions, which offer greater performance with smaller footprint.
 Panda seems to stand out, and you can use 3rd party software to control it's start up, or disable it.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 05:23:38 AM »
Why is this in a five year old thread?  ::)

Wouldn't it do more good if you started a new topic/thread?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Carl471

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2013, 06:51:27 AM »
A. Because the problem still persists (although certain parties refer to it as a "feature")

B. No, the topic is the same, so there is no reason to create new thread with same topic.

-ps. We should laud Avast for allowing open & free discussion of the failures/features of their software.

Why is this in a five year old thread?  ::)

Wouldn't it do more good if you started a new topic/thread?  ???

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2013, 07:05:44 AM »
Hi Carl,

If avast! were to be permanently disabled so easily, wouldn't that put your computer at risk?

If you're looking to speed up your pc, take into consideration the hardware it has and compare it with those of newer computers. An extra gigabyte of ram or a different processor can go a long way.

~!Donovan
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2013, 07:44:20 AM »
+1

If you are running an older computer with older hardware, there is only so much it can do.  That's one of the reasons why all programs come with a minimum hardware compatibility to run that software satisfactorily.  At minimum or lower, the user is sure to be disappointed. 

That brings up another point:  Some users install everything under the sun, and do not think through how installing anything will change the way their system ran before and after.  Some want absolute control over everything their computer does, but an antivirus program is the exact antithesis of that.  It has to be, as malware can enter without notice, and kill the a/v dead, so it has to protect itself from outside attack, and also protect itself from the best intentions of the operator running that system.  Maybe in 2008 you could manually kill your a/v, but most cannot do that now.

What is the point of running an a/v if one will not let it run as designed?  If it does not run well on a system, is it time to change/upgrade the system?

Extreme example here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGXERfhe-Oo
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801